Dolphin-621 LW

Started by jgp12000, August 24, 2021, 08:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

Ok I have the spring on the correct side.

jgp12000

I gave the pawl a <Kroil> bath because it did have some chrome missing with a few rust spots. After the Kroil bath, I rotated it with emery cloth by hand. I slathered the pawl with Super Lube and put some in the cup before screwing it down. It seems to be working better now although, it sometimes still hangs up but if I speed up my retrieve it will return.  If anyone gets bored...I know you are all busy, I am curious if any other pawl would work for this reel, now that I know it's the pawl and not the worm.

thanks for all the help guys!
James

foakes

On clients's Penns or Ambassadeurs, I typically replace both the pawl and the worm if there is a catch or a travel issue.

No come-backs or drama that way.

Because, sure enough, when replacing one or the other — the one not replaced will often fail afterwards.

That pawl looks pretty rough.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: jgp12000 on October 03, 2021, 07:06:40 PM
I gave the pawl a <Kroil> bath because it did have some chrome missing with a few rust spots. After the Kroil bath, I rotated it with emery cloth by hand. I slathered the pawl with Super Lube and put some in the cup before screwing it down. It seems to be working better now although, it sometimes still hangs up but if I speed up my retrieve it will return.  If anyone gets bored...I know you are all busy, I am curious if any other pawl would work for this reel, now that I know it's the pawl and not the worm.

thanks for all the help guys!
James
Just make sure you have the cap down all the way a 1/4 turn is a huge adjustment .
    You could post the measurement of the paw , it might help get you one .
   I have a paw that i think is too big .186 diameter - .268 long .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

handi2

I have asked him to look for a spare reel on the net. It's been a while since I've had one of these.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

The reason Penn put a spare pawl in the tailplate of their Peerless reels is that the worm-and-pawlis a poor design prone to wear and trouble.  To make it even worse, we are still using that design on modern reals.  Come on engineers; it's time for a new mouse trap.

jgp12000

I will try to measure soon, headed to Helen trout fishing, trout eating, wine/beer tasting and eating too much...rained the whole trip but we ate some good German food, pork Schnitzel,German potato salad,onion soup, and a pretzel at Bodensee in Helen.Anna Ruby Falls is a must see,.Charlemagne's Kingdom(model trains) is permanently closed sorry I never got to see that.The trains were from Germany ,flyer stated.I didn't find any DQ maybe next time.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oc1 on October 04, 2021, 04:39:02 AM
The reason Penn put a spare pawl in the tailplate of their Peerless reels is that the worm-and-pawlis a poor design prone to wear and trouble.  To make it even worse, we are still using that design on modern reals.  Come on engineers; it's time for a new mouse trap.

The material used for the Pawl is softer than the Worm gear and they KNEW it would wear sooner than the Worm and had a lot of Failures .
Pflueger was one of the First to put spare Pawls in the side plates for that very reason till manufacturing cuts for Greed got in the way ...lol
Here are some other ways by two other Reel Makers to Level Wind your String .
They worked quite well .

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

jgp12000

I like that reel Henry, is it solid brass? What brand is it?

Wompus Cat

Quote from: jgp12000 on October 07, 2021, 03:14:56 PM
I like that reel Henry, is it solid brass? What brand is it?

Actually those are 2 Different Reels . Look Closely at the Spool on the top one .
The top one is a Smooth Caster Model 600 by Betts and Bodeus and is all Aluminum .
Notice the Spool is designed so the line will move back and forth as you wind it by built in Wings so to Speak that angle .
The Second Reel is a Long-Cast  made by Spiral Wind and has a Unique Ratchetting mechanism inside that moves the line in one direction then Reverses and goes in the other direction doing basically the same as the Worm Gear system but with a simpler principle .  It is built with similar materials as the Pfluegers .

The Bett was made in the 50's and the Spiral Wind in the 30's Pretty Cool deals .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

jgp12000

Those are winches,probably last forever!

jgp12000

I put a caliper on the pawl today,Diameter=4.97 mm/.1 960" Height=9.29 mm/.3 660" One ear was shorter at
9.20 mm which causes the pawl to get stuck on the opposite end of the worm when it is installed 180 degrees.If anyone knows of a same size pawl from another manufacturer please post?