TUTORIAL: Shimano Calcutta 201 TE

Started by Killerbug, January 19, 2012, 12:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norskov

Excellent Morten! Helped me a lot when upgrading to Carbontex on my Te 401!

the_clairvoyant

I don't understand why Shimano uses such a skinny drag washer in the main gear? They could easily fit one with a larger surface area (smaller inner diameter) and improve the drag performance, wonder whats the reason behind their choice

captscott

Great job very thorough!  Thanks for posting this! Can anyone confirm if the 401TE is the same to break down and service? That is my next project after I get my Toriums back together!  Thanks!!

captscott

Well I finally got around to giving my 401te a full break down and service. Thanks to Kb for all the great tips in this thread. The 401Te is a little different than the 201te, and it is definitely the most complicated reel I have broken down to date but with this thread and the schematic in hand I was able to get it done in a little over 2 hours. Started taking pics to post a tutorial but lost my way and didn't want to confuse myself any further. I have had this reel since 05 and until joining this site never had the nerve to break it down, so it was in pretty rough shape (mostly inshore use, and freshwater trolling shiners for LM bass) the oem grease was dried and caked up, so i gave her a thorough cleaning and put a new set of carbontex washers in and used a synthetic grease called green grease to coat the insides, and gears. Also carb cleaned and reelx'd all the bearings and put it back together.  Wow what a difference!  The reel is so smooth now it's just sick!!! I was never impressed with the drag on this reel, but with the carbontex washers now it is just silky. Can't wait to try this out on some big tarpon and snook this coming summer!!! Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread with tips and tricks, I would not have had the confidence to tackle it without this board.

exp2000

Calcuttas are my bread and butter here in Barra Land - mostly 400s. Don't get so many 200s.

They are a nice reel. I particularly like the B series and they are still available. Definite improvement over the original design. They have been so successful that perhaps Shimano is afraid to discontinue them.

Just finished a CTE400 that has seen a bit of abuse. Will need to order a new Drag Star and Handle for it!

The metal Pawl Cap seizing on the metal Line Guide is a typical problem with the TEs. You can use miniature vice grip pliers to persuade it utilizing a strip of rubber for protection. If that doesn't work you have to get out the gas torch but be careful of plastic parts like the clutch bar and nylon worm bushes.

The B series has a composite line guide so does not suffer from the same problem. I view it as a more practical design and an improvement in a number of ways.

I do not like the new D series reels. Only done one so far - the guide bars sit in blind holes in the one piece frame and these act as salt traps. I had to use the gas torch and vice grips to unseized these from the frame. Mind you the owner did fish from a kayak. So if you get one of these, be sure to keep up the TSI or corrosion-X to these recesses or you will wish you had.
~

ChefShawn

barkley1956

I have a CTE 400 to work on but I cannot see the pictures in the tutorial. Any suggestions on how I can view them? Thanks!!!

morfius

Quote from: barkley1956 on May 31, 2016, 01:50:48 AM
I have a CTE 400 to work on but I cannot see the pictures in the tutorial. Any suggestions on how I can view them? Thanks!!!

I have the same problem

Bryan Young

Quote from: morfius on April 25, 2017, 03:16:58 AM
Quote from: barkley1956 on May 31, 2016, 01:50:48 AM

I have the same problem
Not sure how to fix it unless Killerbug reposts them.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

morfius,
Sometimes things like this happen when the picture hosting site is down or the members account has lapsed.
Posts of my own do this, then later they can be viewed when the site is back online.
No sure what the case is, but
There is nothing I can do to correct it at this time.
Daron
Life is Good!

morfius

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 25, 2017, 03:43:35 AM
morfius,
Sometimes things like this happen when the picture hosting site is down or the members account has lapsed.
Posts of my own do this, then later they can be viewed when the site is back online.
No sure what the case is, but
There is nothing I can do to correct it at this time.
Daron

Thanks Daron.  I appreciate the quick reply.  The reason why I commented and flagged it is because I am trying to rebuild my  Calcutta 300TE and need a visual tutorial.  I've been searching around and haven't been able to find one.  I posted a thread, but it hasn't shown up on here for some reason.  I can find it in my profile, but not in the forum.  Can you help me regarding that?  I signed up here a long time ago, but I'm still a noob when it comes to navigating around. 

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

morfius