Plastic Restore?

Started by jgp12000, August 25, 2021, 12:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

What's best product to make dull plastic look good again?

Wompus Cat

Well  a lot depends on what type of plastic /Material that looks like Plastic ...lol it is
and or what Dulled it  as in U.V. Chemicals, Curing , been in the Lake, Ocean ,etc .
First thing I do is wash it with good ol Hot Soapy water .Then buff on it with a polishing towel  to see what I get .
Then depending on how thick it is I go through  a sundry of things and sometimes can make it like NEW .
A lot of Reel parts I end up using the Finest  steel wool  I can get then 2500 wet dry sand paper then a fine wet type polish and then a coat of carnuba wax .
Some stuff is just decomposing and you have to remove the crust on it and then go through the process.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Benni3

Nu finish scratch doctor works great,,, ;) or 3m plactic restore puts a little more shine on it,,,, :D so sometimes i do a 2 part,,,,,,,, ;D

Midway Tommy

ArmorAll makes it look good for for a little while but soon wears off.

I buff off the cloudy residue and polish it with Plaskolite. Once I get it looking like new I give it a thin coat of Penetrol, as directed. Penetrol will keep it looking good for a long time.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Like Tom — I have found Penetrol to be the most effective.

Everything else is mostly temporary.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

Tom, Were are you buying your Plaskolite Cleaner? Do you know any retaile chains that have it over the counter?
Thanks
Mike

Midway Tommy

Quote from: PacRat on August 25, 2021, 07:46:48 PM
Tom, Were are you buying your Plaskolite Cleaner? Do you know any retaile chains that have it over the counter?
Thanks
Mike

Our local Ace Hardware stores carry it. That's how I originally ran across it. I really like how it polishes the finish without leaving any residue after. It won't remove the original cloudy film, though.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

jgp12000

The reason I ask is after cleaning this Olympic Dolphin 621-LW with white vinegar/dawn it looks like this.I am not sure what type plastic it is? Also, The hardware is still soaking in lacquer thinner,but I believe the worm and pawl may need replacing.Are there any PENN parts they may be interchangeable?

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=33799.msg397571#msg397571

Wompus Cat

Hot Soapy Water using a good Brush then spray it down with some 3M Brand Wet Type Spray Silicone and it will shine like a  Big Diamond in a Goats Butt!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 26, 2021, 12:02:47 AM
Hot Soapy Water using a good Brush then spray it down with some 3M Brand Wet Type Spray Silicone and it will shine like a  Big Diamond in a Goats Butt!
Thats a terrible way to transport your diamonds.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

When ever I've used hot soapy water the cloudy film seemed to get more prevalent and just made it take longer to  remove so I quit using hot water. I don't use silicone either because it collects dust and don't like dusting.  ;)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 27, 2021, 05:07:29 PM
Hot Soapy Water using a good Brush then spray it down with some 3M Brand Wet Type Spray Silicone and it will shine like a  Big Diamond in a Goats Butt!

When ever I've used hot soapy water the cloudy film seemed to get more prevalent and just made it take longer to  remove so I quit using hot water. I don't use silicone either because it collects dust and don't like dusting.  ;)

That may be true on a lot of other Reels but on that Particular  Olympic Reel the hot soapy water  Brushing then with the Wet Type Spray  Silcone will work on THAT Soft whatever it is made of . I have done quite a few of them .If it don't work I will Double  your money back you paid for this advice.
THe silicone soaks in then wipe it down and she will SHINE ,SHINE ,SHINE on Harvest Moon up in the Blue .

foakes

If you don't get it clean, let me know.

Just picked up a couple of two gallon bags of these blue Conventional Olympic reels last week —

Lots of plates, and lots of parts.

If there is something you could use — let me know.

N/C, if I have it.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

I always assumed that dull film was plastic that had been oxidized by UV and stuff in the air making it pourous like swiss cheese.  I also assumed that Armorall and the oils just filled in the holes in the cheese to give it a uniform surface.  Donno, maybe you can pick your solution:
- fill in the holes
- removed the oxidized surface layer with abrasive (polish, sandpaper, etc), or
- just live with it because it doe not affect performance

Donnyboat

To get it cleen, Mike-MO65 would use loquid detergent, like Dynamo, mixed with Bi carb, rub it in with a tooth brush, leave it for 15 minutes, then wash it with hot or cold water, rub it with very fine Wet & Dry cloth 2000 or 2500, then if it was SAL, he would have used never dull, good luck, cheers Don. Alan Tani would rub yamaha marine grease on it. true Alan.
Don, or donnyboat