Mahi mahi Swimbait rod

Started by steelfish, August 25, 2021, 11:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Yet another Mahi mahi themed rod, this was born as a "test" blank when I used this non-brand blank to test my skills to paint a mahi mahi blank for a customer and it ended up looking good, so I immediately continued to paint the Rainshadow blank for a customer and built it (you already saw it), well, I also finished to paint my blank and saved it for later because I had not plans for it at that moment, also because another of the same blanks broke on me when doing a lifting test with 7# deag weight, after some research I considered I was "kind of" too extreme on the test, I decided to give a chance to that blank and build the rod and test it on a fair fight on real world regular fishing, if it explodes on a small fish well that will teach me to dont buy blanks on special price anymore  ;D ;D but if it works good and fight as expected for a 15-30lb medium action blank then I would be happy.

with that said, I only used components and accessories that I already had on hand to build this rod and to don't get upset too much if it breaks on the 1st fishing trip, so you might see some accesories that dont mach to each other or look kind of outta place, this is also my first time carving or forming an hypalon grip on a lathe and pretty happy with the results, I will use the lathe more often (which it was actually the same wrapping lathe motor).

As you could see the Fuji reelseat was also Painted with the same theme, the paint on it had few coats of UrethAne sprayed as sealant but I must admit or say that while I was puting the expoxy on the guides I went crazy and gave a light coat of thread epoxy to the reelseat LOL, it doesnt look bad, but it wasnt necessary either, lets say I just wanted to see if it would work good or not.

Blank : swimbait composite  15-30lb  (same size and specs of the rainshadow REVSB710 MH)
reelseat: Fuji ACSM
Guides:  double foot guides Fuji LN, running guides single foot Fuji KB (belly guides)
stripper guide: Fuji Gold ring
Blue hypalon grips
Buttcap: Fuji
Tiptop:  Carbaloy ring with metal frame, I could have gone with something lighter but I wanted to try one of this tiptops

this swimbait rod will be paired with an Abu Toro Beast 60 reel for inshore fishing and casting lures to spanish Macks, Curvinas and leopard grouper.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

few more.

The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

That is really spectacular. I must say; however, that you really do need to go catch at least one Dorado on the thing :)!

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

Quote from: Ron Jones on August 26, 2021, 12:18:51 AM
That is really spectacular. I must say; however, that you really do need to go catch at least one Dorado on the thing :)!

The Man

thanks Ron, I have that on my bucket list, catch a Dorado with the Dorado Rod.
The Baja Guy