Jigmaster 500 question

Started by smazzola, August 29, 2021, 12:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akfish

It could be that the side pate is stretched out. This can happen if the user keeps tightening the left side bearing to use it as an anti-backlash device.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

smazzola

Requested pictures for ID purposes. Thanks Steve
😄

Ron Jones

Look at that, a 500 on 1 side and a 505 on the other?

You need a different left side plate, at least you have a regular 500 spool. I'm sure someone on here can set you up quicker that I can.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Wompus Cat

This is what I thought it might be and refered to in my post  above when you said the Handle side bearing was tight  
Ya got one of Dr. Frankensteins Reels built from old Dead Penns.
You just need the Right(correct for Left ) side Reg. Jiggy plate and End cap /spring.
I MIGHT have one and will check . If not I am sure some one here has em .

Thanks for posting the extra pix so we could clear this up .

smazzola

Here is a close up of the non handle, side plate where the bering cap screws into.
😄

oldmanjoe

I would try to make a shim washer that goes between the click gear and bearing , or a tube to make to make a false shoulder on the shaft .
just to keep the Frankenstein theme ..
 Something like this :  a piece of fuel line and cut to size.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Quote from: smazzola on August 29, 2021, 02:15:41 PM
Here is a close up of the non handle, side plate where the bearing cap screws into.

You understand that you have the Wrong Sideplate for that Reel . Right ?

The Side plate you have pictured fits a Penn Jigmaster 505 Not 500.
So you will need either a Jig Master 505 Handle side Plate and switch all the guts out of yours to make the Left side you have work OR just get a Left Jigmaster 500 side plate which does not have the ball bearing and a new Bearing cap and spring or make some pieces like olmanjoe said to keep the Franken style going .

Maxed Out

Your headplate is a jigmaster 500, and tailplate is jigmaster 505, your spool is a 500....none are compatible. You'll need a 505 headplate with 505 internals and you'll also need a 505 spool.....or just get a 500 tailplate and you'll be good to go
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

smazzola

Ok, I will look for a 500 tail side plate with spring, it just makes sense to me, to keep the reel a 500. I first thought the spool shaft that engaged with with the 505 side bering was not a lap fit. Thank you all for your input I had no clue, since this was the first Jigmaster I have bought. I hope to put it to good use on the Oregon coast. Steve
😄

JRD

If you don't mind the color difference these are all the pieces you need and I'll be happy to send them for free to you.

smazzola

Thanks for the offering the red side plate for free, very nice of you. Last night I order a use side plate on eBay the seller said he would also send the 500 end cap bushing and spring. If he forgets the spring and cap, I might hit you up for the spring and cap. I will follow up with a end report once I get the part and reel back together. Thanks again! Steve
😄

Gfish

Maybe send the first "Frankenreel" seller a note about disclosure(if he didn't) and a possible bad rating as an eBay seller...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

smazzola

I'm 10 weeks in my recovery from rotator cuff surgery, any of you that have had this procedure knows it's a slow recovery. Any how, I'm was able to finally finish the Frankinstine eBay buy. Parts: New gear sleeve, new drags and steels with the extra smaller drag to make it to a 4 stack. Use 500 tail plate and 500 ring and put on an easy handle that I had. Thanks again, for steering me to the right parts to make this a bi color side plate reel. It works smooth!! Steve
😄

Gfish

Cool!
If you see a 500 series from a distance with 2-rings on the tail-plate and it's not a Franken-reel, it should be a 505/506. I like the 2-rings for strength purposes, but dislike ball bearings for maintenance purposes(too easy to get corroded). The HS-505/506 has spool shafts are slightly longer because they need to extend into the ball bearings. Also, the side-plates will be deeper. Also x 2, the gears 4:1 on the 500 reels are stronger looking than the smaller toothed 5:1 HS Jiggys.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!