Main Menu

ribbon fish jigging

Started by ksong, August 23, 2021, 06:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

ribbon fish jigging

It is new to the US, but they catch ribbon fish on jigs in Korea and Japan.

I experimented 2 oz spoon for big ribbon fish out of Virginia Beach the other day and found it worked as good as using bait.

The technique is simple. You cast out the jigs, drop to the bottom and reel in pretty fast speed.

I am sure others will find better lures/jigs for ribbon fish soon.

I heard big ribbon fish stay off Virginia Beach from July to Sept.

There are a few charter boats targeting ribbon fish already.

You will know why they love to catch ribbon fish once you hook up a nice one. It pulls the drag.

conchydong

Interesting. I have caught them before as incidental catches while fishing for goggle eyes at night with sabiki rigs. When I was in the Philippines I had ribbonfish both fresh and dried it was quite good.

Crow

Crazy looking things, ain't they !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

handi2

They used to be very plentiful here in the Gulf and we're a blast to catch. The smaller ones made great King Mackerel bait.

I haven't seen one in over 40 years.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ReelFishingProblems

I was camping at Kiptopeke state park in Virginia (across the bridge from Virginia Beach) last year and a guy on the other side of the pier from me was catching them all night. Nothing as big as our friend here, but perfect variety of bait sized ones

ksong

Gfish

Interesting. No tail fin to speak of. A way to gain more speed when swimming? No need to start fast or strong?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jurelometer

Quote from: Gfish on August 27, 2021, 08:00:23 PM
Interesting. No tail fin to speak of. A way to gain more speed when swimming? No need to start fast or strong?

What an interesting question!  I never thought to ask.  Had to look this up.  Straight line locomotion  is accomplished by holding the body mostly straight and undulating the dorsal fin.   The fin design is good for hovering and rapid maneuvering.  Requires just the right blend of rigidity and flexibility on the rays of the fins.

Researchers have done some work to determine  if this technique can be leveraged for mechanical propulsion underwater.   My gut tells me no.  These sort of designs that require a lot of flexibility along with a small cross section are usually difficult to turn into efficient and durable manmade machinery.  Same reason airplanes have propellers and not flapping wings.  Better use might be catching and eating said research subjects.  But what do I know.

Always wanted to see one live.

Scientific  name : Trichiurus lepturus

-J

conchydong

Smaller specimans are great Kingfish(King Mackeral) bait when rigged with multiple stinger hooks and slow trolled on a down rigger.

philaroman

different set of questions:  are they better pickled or cold-smoked?