My version of a Beef Brisket

Started by Bill B, September 01, 2021, 12:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I've been bbq'n, grilling', and smoking' for about 30 years.  All backyard stuff, not about to even attempt competition bbq.  I finally dove into beef brisket and here is the beginning of my second attempt.

Recipe as follows:
Dry Rub
1/2 cup garlic salt
1/2 cup regular sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 tblspn chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp lemon pepper

Take a 16.5 lb brisket that doesn't fit on a full size cookie sheet, trim about 4 lbs of fat, or enough tallow to light a city for the night 😜. Make sure you are getting the layer between the flat and the cap, leaving about 1/4" on top.

Liberally apply the dry rub, getting into all the nooks and crannies.  Wrap in cellophane and refrigerate over night.

I will be using an offset smoker for this.  Gonna have to get up early tomorrow to start.  I will continue this post tomorrow as things progress......Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

PacRat

I've dabbled in brisket. I work in Texas a lot but live in California so sometimes I just need a fix. It's wise to trim that fat. The hard part is knowing how much. I have a similar BBQ (Oklahoma Joe) and I start it at midnight and sear the brisket, then move it over. I wake up every two hours to stoke the fire and make sure all is well. It's always worth the effort. Enjoy!
-Mike

Wompus Cat

I think it's still on the Books here in Texas . If you get caught trimming fat off a Brisket they can Hang you.
Least ways they use to in the Cook Offs I wuz in .

Good luck with it .Spices look Good .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Looks great, Bill!

Sue and I had the last of the Bluefin & Yellowtail that John (Brewcrafter) sent up t9 is a few weeks ago.

We sure have some talented BBQ Chefs & Professional Anglers on our site.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Brewcrafter

That looks great Bill!  Brisket is definitely a commitment!  (Actually that reminds me of a joke that ends something like "The cook is invested, but the cow is committed" but I digress).  That spice blend looks really good!  Looking forward to seeing the finished product!  What flavor of wood will you be using? - john

Bill B

Good morning....so I overslept, planned on getting up at 0600.....well maybe 0700 hrs 😉.  After chillin in the refrigerator over nite, out the brisket came to warm up for an hour.  In the meantime, load up the chimney starter and get the charcoal started.  Once the coals are good and hot into the offset smoker they go and the brisket goes on.  A good squirt with apple juice and we are smoking.  And every hour after.  I will be using charcoal for the main heat source and oak chunks sourced from my property for smoke flavor.....stay tuned....only another 12 hours or so before we're done....Bill

Dominick

I could be there for dinner time.  I'll bring some wine.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Come on downDominick....still have a few hours more to go!

So halfway done, reached an internal temperature of 160* after 7 hours on the smoker....talking cold and slow....did battle a temperature stall but just powered through by raising the cooking temperature. Pulled it off, sliced into 3 pieces, added more of the dry rub.  Wrapped in foil and back into the smoker until it reaches 190*. Probably have another 3 hours to go.

Bill B

A total of 10 hrs on the smoker....reached the target of 190*.  Pulled the brisket off, let it stand wrapped in foil for 20 minutes.  Sliced it up and time to eat.  It turned out very tender and flavorful, but will add additional salt next time.  Maybe 2 tablespoons.  I reserved the dripping in the foil wrappings to pour over the meat.  Well worth the time. Bill

Brewcrafter

Bill - That looks incredible and we know you worked for it!  That is some really sweet looking meat, congratulations! - john

pjstevko

Looks awesome! I know who's cooking during the next group fishing trip ;D

thorhammer

Rancanfish

You have the delicious picture part down pat too.  ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bill B

Thank you for the kind words.  I was always afraid of throwing such a large piece of meat on the smoker, didn't want to waste 15 lbs of meat. But after doing this twice and both times it turned out great.  I'm still working on the dry rub.  Needs a little more kick.  I think more salt and adding black pepper will help.  Credit goes where it's due and I have been using this book for a lot of recipes.  774 pages.  Lots of descriptions and explanations of where he got each one.  Beef, pork, poultry, fish, shellfish, and vegetables.  I can't recommend this book enough.  Bill