A castable fish finder gift

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 02, 2021, 05:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

My well intentioned wife got me this for my birthday.

LUCKY Kayak Portable Fish Depth Finder Water Handheld Fish Finder Sonar Castable Kayak Boat Fishfinder Transducer Fishing LCD Display FFC1108 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091GKH7XL/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_3JZGG526VHQPW5J4TVP7

I mean I already own it. I'll gamble the cost of 4 AAA batteries on it next time I go out on the yak. Its not like i currently have a proper fish finder. So i guess either way its an improvement on my current setup? ;D
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

thats cool, I didnt know there is a thing as a casteable fish finder

its cheap enough to try it for shore fishing on rocky zones and dont waste my time casting 1000 times on empty places LOL
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

They make far more advanced ones than what I got, with 100m Wi-Fi range and it displays on your phone.

The concept is there. I can easily see why it's a thing. I doubt this $40 example will be the best representation but we'll see.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 02, 2021, 07:03:16 PM
They make far more advanced ones than what I got, with 100m Wi-Fi range and it displays on your phone.

The concept is there. I can easily see why it's a thing. I doubt this $40 example will be the best representation but we'll see.

yep, I saw some other models that look more advanced and not that expensive under the same concept.

The Baja Guy

philaroman

only looked at picture, price, AND COMPLETE ABSENSE OF THE WORD "WIRELESS"!!!,
how's it "Castable", if it ain't wireless  ???  RETURN THE SILLY THING, AT ONCE!!!
assuming they work at all (plenty used ones being unloaded on fleaBay),
from the shore, you want something truly castable, like Hummingbird Smartcast or budget version:
https://www.bing.com/shop?q=hummingbird+smartcast&FORM=SHOPTB
in a yak you want wide-angle & decent resolution -- not castability, right?
I don't think any affordable miniature transducer can give you both, depth & angle

JasonGotaProblem

Honestly I like that it has its own little screen. I would strongly prefer keeping my phone in the dry box. It's got a 25 foot cable which is just long enough to not actually be "castable" but might be a good cheapo for the yak, and might be long enough for a pier or something. But returning gifts doesn't usually lead to replacement gifts around here. So I'm just gonna give it a go. But I'm not drilling a hole in the hull to gamble on this. I'll glue on the mount and drape the wire over the side.

Bill B

I'm interested to see how it works out....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

boon

Don't expect outrageous fish finding capability but even knowing depth, and therefore being able to find rocks and such, is giving you more information than you had before. We have a big pile of cash tied up in sonar and very rarely does it lead us directly to fish, it's just another source of information that factors into your decision making.

oc1

I'd want only about two feet of wire.  Just enough to drop it over the side to get a depth reading.  The casting thing would be a cluster.  In a kayak you can move over 25 feet to get another reading easier than trying to throw and retrieve it.

Gfish

I like the translated English. Always wonder why Asian countries don't hire someone to edit their text. My favorite of all time was from Hong Kong: a handicapped men's bathroom; "DEFORMED MANS TOILET".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Gfish on September 03, 2021, 08:17:23 AM
I like the translated English. Always wonder why Asian countries don't hire someone to edit their text. My favorite of all time was from Hong Kong: a handicapped men's bathroom; "DEFORMED MANS TOILET".
::) I wondered the same thing , some things just don`t translate well....
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare