Albacore Reel

Started by Rancanfish, September 03, 2021, 02:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Our albacore run 15-30 pounds with a rare one over 30 and most in the 20-25 pound range so mid size reels are not needed.  For trolling and dead bait I would say a 4:1 gear ratio is perfect.  A Senator 113H size reel will work but is over kill even when spooled with mono, a Jigmaster 500 size would be better but a 99 size better still, and for dead bait a Jigmaster 501 size reel works well.  If you are not using Spectra a bit larger reel might be OK.  For jigging a higher gear ratio would be better but a smaller reel can be used.

My go to reel for albacore is a Avet MX but I have caught them on ABU 5601C4 reels, but would not recommend a LW.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

funhog

In SoCal, Daiwa SL20SH and the SL30SH were a favorite for bait fishing albacore back in the 90s -early 2000s. Their advertising campain was "the reel that taught the pinhead anchovy how to fly". The Newell 200 series was also popular. I still fish with both.

Rancanfish

Yeah I bet the 229 would be a kick.  And I have a black Torque 12 I still haven't fished.

A friend of a friend that I met, wanted all my squidders.  He swore by them for albacore.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

SoCalAngler

Most of it has been covered but I'll add my 2 cents.

Back in the day I caught 100's of the long fins with a TLD 15 and 30 lb test. Now that reel is long retired. If they ever show up again here in So Cal I have a Newell G220 with 15 lb test on it for when the anchovies are no more bigger than two eyes and a wiggle. Any reel suited for 25-30 lb test should be fine. A Penn Fathom 15 star drag, Diawa SL 20's and 30's, Avet SX or MX and many more fit into that 25-30 lb test range so go with the ones you like or the ones you already have. Also spinners will work fine, being in So Cal we are mostly a live bait fishery so I'd lean towards spinning reels with a good live line/live bait feature.

Albacore are one of the weakest fighting tuna IMO and I have been lucky enough to get them in the 40 lb class, almost 50 lb. I never went over the 30 lb test range and never thought I needed a 2 speed reel for them.

Now there have been some jumbo's caught in years past, albies in the 70 lb range, in central and northern CA but I have no experience with them. If those showed here I'd most likely rethink my gear selection.

Rancanfish

Love the anchovy description, lol.

I also have 3500 Baitrunners I could use if the albies promise to stay football sized. 

It's going to be fun regardless.  I just have to remember to think 'retired' so I don't work as much and just go fishing.

I did score a jar of tuna today if that counts.  8)

Maxed Out

Randy, you can get some info on Oregon albacore fishing from ifish.com  There's plenty info there to get your blood pumping
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

nelz

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 04, 2021, 06:20:49 PMAlbacore are one of the weakest fighting tuna IMO...

Well I guess I was mistaken comparing them with Bonitas! Believe me, "Bonies" will put any one of the aforementioned reels to the test, and will expose any weakness in your tackle, as they are pound for pound among the hardest fighting of all fish!

Rancanfish

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 04, 2021, 11:46:31 PM
Randy, you can get some info on Oregon albacore fishing from ifish.com  There's plenty info there to get your blood pumping

Thanks for the info Ted.

MarkT

Back when we had Albacore in So Cal I used a Penn GS 535 w/25# as my goto reel together with a GS 525 for 20#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

PacRat

Quote from: nelz on September 05, 2021, 01:52:59 AM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 04, 2021, 06:20:49 PMAlbacore are one of the weakest fighting tuna IMO...

Well I guess I was mistaken comparing them with Bonitas! Believe me, "Bonies" will put any one of the aforementioned reels to the test, and will expose any weakness in your tackle, as they are pound for pound among the hardest fighting of all fish!

One time we were bottom-fishing out of Santa Barbara and the skipper told us to wind them in for the day but the crew was having anchor issues so I decided to make a couple more casts. I tied on a jig I had just won as a door-prize. Got a hit on the first drop and it was giving me hell. When I could see color I mumbled "Damn...a bone-head". The deck-hand leaned over and said,"Don't lose it...you've got the jackpot." The guy that caught the giant ling on the first drop of the day was kind of pissed but I took the cash and the trophy. I never dreamed I would jackpot on a bone-head.

-Mike

nelz

I just had one snap 40lb Berkley Big Game when it dug into the spool. Clean break, middle of the line, not a knot.  :o   >:(

whalebreath

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 04, 2021, 11:46:31 PMRandy, you can get some info on Oregon albacore fishing from ifish.com
Make that https://www.ifish.net/

Quote from: nelz on September 05, 2021, 02:45:39 AM
I just had one snap 40lb Berkley Big Game when it dug into the spool. Clean break, middle of the line, not a knot.
Probably a slub Berkley is notorious for that kind of thing.

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 04, 2021, 06:20:49 PMAlbacore are one of the weakest fighting tuna IMO
Not as weak as Blackfin they are truly disappointing both on the line and on the plate.

nelz

Quote from: whalebreath on September 05, 2021, 04:30:42 AMProbably a slub Berkley is notorious for that kind of thing.

What's a slub?  Anyway, I changed out the line and trashed it.

Swami805

Best eating tuna on the west coast, especially good when Ted cans them.  Raw, canned, baked, blackened, good stuff.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

whalebreath

Quotenoun: slub

a lump or thick place in yarn or thread-fabric woven from yarn or thread containing lumps or thick spots.

adjective: slub

(of fabric) having an irregular appearance caused by uneven thickness of the warp.
"slub silk"