Penn 50 VSW

Started by Fishermans Paradise, August 30, 2021, 12:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishermans Paradise

Greetings from the east coast all! It's been far too long since I posted last.  If anyone has any suggestions for me, I am very grateful.  Admittedly I do alot of reel work, but not alot with the bigger internationals.  As we speak, I have a "newer" 50 vsw on the bench that is hanging up when shifting speeds.  With the speed button pressed in, it functions flawlessly. When you twist the cam to release the button, it is hanging up and not coming out all the way.  I have already replaced every part from the button down to both springs and spacer and everything in between.  I have thoroughly c.eaned, to almost a polished finish, the inside of the shift where the springs etc reside.  Any suggestions? In true alantani.com fashion, all metal parts get a bath with corrosion x after cleaning and a light coat of either evinrude triple guard or cals grease depending on the application.  I'm open to any and all suggestions as the only remaining parts to replace,(shaft, gears, etc) will set me back over $100 and I honestly don't see any issues with those parts.  I did read on one post, I think from Alan, that during disassembly the shifter button should lift right out.  It does but there is a fair amount of resistance or drag doing so,I assume due to the spring cam it goes through.  Thanks in advance for any input!

Lee

Penn

Hey there.  Pull the nut out #23 and the shift button #172 out of the reel and slide it through, there should be no resistance.  If there is no resistance do the same thing with #170 and 110B.  Most of the time its the #23 that collapses when someone tries to remove the shift collar off without the proper tools.  If the #172 shift button slides though all these parts outside of the reel without resistance let me know something else is wrong.  Tony

Penn

Hopefully you got this figured out since we never heard back. 

tony