Reel foot screws

Started by reel bob, September 03, 2021, 05:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reel bob

So, I have this charter that gives me reels that the reel feet are so worn that they need to be replaced. one of the screws broke off on one of the reels ...how can i get it out ? and anything better than PB Blaster to help penetrate to help in the removal? Thanx

Hardy Boy

What kind or reel ? Pictures ? Options include : heat, drill, soaking ................

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

AJ

Heat, EZ-Out, vise grips??  Is there any of the screw sticking out?

alantani

i use a propane torch.  20 seconds with the tip of the blue part of the frame.  the clicker assembly has to be removed or it will cook. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

PacRat

We can't help with the reel without knowing which one it is. But I can help you with penetrating oil. I believe Kroil may be the best commercially available but it comes with a price...it really stinks so your wife will hate it. It smells a lot like turpentine with a couple of other solvents.
https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/TxFOL1JQO50Q4Y/

Once we know what you're dealing with; we can all be a lot more helpful.

-Mike

reel bob

PRO EX 30/2...screws have not been removed since they were manufactured, the one that broke off flush, i have no clue, the one that left a little of the metal showing i was able to remove after soaking for a few days with PB Blaster. Drill and thread size?  I have at least 6 more reels coming to me that need the feet replaced. Called  AVET to order feet, they don't even have them >:( said a month at least

alantani

yup, welcome to my world!!!!   :-\

when i suspect that the screws are badly stuck, i first try to tighten them, then back them off just a little, just to see if they will wiggle.  if they don't budge, then i drag out the propane torch and hit the screw head with the tip of the blue flame for 20 seconds.  make sure nothing is left on the frame that will melt.  then say a hail mary and see if the screw will budge. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

PacRat

Get yourself some quality left-hand drill bitts and some good cutting oil. Be very careful to keep drill centered in the broken screw nub. Sometimes the heat expansion/contraction plus the cutting oil will penetrate. With a left-hand bitt the nub will sometimes extract before even needing the EZ-Out.