Daiwa Catalina 12 4500 rebuild question

Started by Pinefisher, September 04, 2021, 03:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Quote from: philaroman on September 06, 2021, 03:17:43 PMBUMP!  still want someone to explain a ball-bearing in a place where there's no functional rotation of any kind ???
not pickin' on Daiwa...  pretty sure my fancy JDM Shimano rear-drag has a BB support in the spool that never rotates

The pinion and rotor turn on that bearing instead of a plain bushing as in cheaper reels.

The bearing inside spool is supposed to make the drag smoother when it's spinning under load...  ::)  That one's a bit of a stretch.  ::)

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on September 06, 2021, 03:17:43 PM
BUMP!  still want someone to explain a ball-bearing in a place where there's no functional rotation of any kind ???

not pickin' on Daiwa...  pretty sure my fancy JDM Shimano rear-drag has a BB support in the spool that never rotates
Found it
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

Quote from: handi2 on September 06, 2021, 05:59:50 PM
Are you referring to the bottom pinion bearing?

Keith

no, the utterly superfluous bearing shown in photo above (part #16 in 5000, #17 in 4000)
sits on top/inside rotor nut -- neither race contacts anything that moves during operation
I understand centering/positioning for floating shaft effect, but there's no rotation &
no need for little balls & extra cavities for SW -- solid brass would be cheaper AND BETTER

Quote from: nelz on September 06, 2021, 06:01:44 PM
The pinion and rotor turn on that bearing instead of a plain bushing as in cheaper reels.

no, pinion and rotor turn on BIG bearings (parts #50,53 in 5000; #53,56 in 4000)
the little one in your photo, seems to do NOTHING except position the collar -- the little balls never roll  ;D
it looks like a VERY expensive spacer, that requires an adapter (collar) for up/down movement

Quote from: nelz on September 06, 2021, 06:01:44 PM
The bearing inside spool is supposed to make the drag smoother when it's spinning under load...  ::)  That one's a bit of a stretch.  ::)

that's front-drag, where the shaft is stationary & spool rotates when drag engaged...  not really necessary, but not idiotic
in a rear-drag, spool locks onto shaft & shaft rotates when drag engaged -- BB's between spool & shaft ARE idiotic

Pinefisher

BUMP!  still want someone to explain a ball-bearing in a place where there's no functional rotation of any kind ???

not pickin' on Daiwa...  pretty sure my fancy JDM Shimano rear-drag has a BB support in the spool that never rotates

Keith
I believe he is referring to the bearing in the rotor nut (6G467102). This nut is stationary to the rotor and the spool shaft moves up and down through a collar as the rotor spins around the spool shaft.

handi2

Quote from: Pinefisher on September 06, 2021, 09:16:04 PM
BUMP!  still want someone to explain a ball-bearing in a place where there's no functional rotation of any kind ???

not pickin' on Daiwa...  pretty sure my fancy JDM Shimano rear-drag has a BB support in the spool that never rotates

Keith
I believe he is referring to the bearing in the rotor nut (6G467102). This nut is stationary to the rotor and the spool shaft moves up and down through a collar as the rotor spins around the spool shaft.

I see now. Another way to increase the bearing count on a reel. Stella's have this setup too.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

nelz

Quote from: Pinefisher on September 06, 2021, 09:16:04 PMI believe he is referring to the bearing in the rotor nut (6G467102). This nut is stationary to the rotor and the spool shaft moves up and down through a collar as the rotor spins around the spool shaft.

That's exactly right. Really doubt Daiwa would make such a complex assembly "just to increase the bearing count". If increasing the bearing count was the goal, they'd just stick a bunch of extra bearings inside the handle knob like those ridiculous off-brand reels you see on ebay.

Ten bearings total inside the knobs:   ::)

johndtuttle

BUMP!  still want someone to explain a ball-bearing in a place where there's no functional rotation of any kind ???

The rotor rotates around the shaft. This bearing, like a spool bearing, keeps the shaft tight to the rotor nut but free spins rather than using a bushing like most reels. The pinion rotates on the bigger bearing, this one keeps the rotor as it spins from rubbing on the shaft.

In a spool, again the spool rotates around the shaft. The bearings minimize "tipping" of the spool under load and let the drag do its work rather than binding on the shaft. Small refinements for very heavy drag. Unless you are fishing the highest drag on super spinners its not noticeable.