The venerable 249

Started by Shellbelly, October 29, 2021, 03:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

I've noticed that the 249 doesn't get much attention so I thought it would be nice to bring some around.  I'm sure most Penn collectors have a few or at least one and I'd venture to say that we have them in the "just because..." category.  It's a very simple model, not particularly scarce as a whole reel, but certain parts can be scarce...like the handle.  The LL Bean model tends to run up a high price, but the standard Penn 249 isn't expensive and can be a good donor for no-number parts.  To me it stands out as a clean and simple, unadorned of shiny parts reel with a nice picture plate.  I believe these were work horses for the wire liners for a few years.

The direct drive reels bring back good memories for me.  I had to master the casting and landing exercise with a direct drive before I was "allowed" to move a lever or push a button.

Other than the LL Bean model, the only change I've noticed is the counterweight.  One is smooth and the other has a ring.  Do you know when this happened, cause I sure don't.  Also, i haven't seen another model that shares this handle.  That's a little unique for Penn.

Anyway, I like 'em.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Deepennz

Hi there,
It seems that you have two #249's from the late 1940's - Penn started putting single, double or triple rings on their counterweights from about 1946/7.
The humble 249 was first produced in 1939, and underwent a few changes over the years. All the pre-war models had the coin edged counterweight, and a square profile to the arbor/spools. they were also produced in double, and triple multiplying versions.
After the war Penn changed the profile of the spools - your reels should have a more rounded, contoured, continuous arbor/flange. Your photos don't show the spools - it would be interesting to see them.
So - IMHO, I would think that the reel without any rings on the counterweight is a slightly earlier version - 1946/47, and the other was produced slightly later.
It is an interesting exercise rotating the handle for one revolution and counting the number of times that the spool rotates - this will reveal whether yours are double, or triple multiplying.
Mike Cacioppo (Penn Chronology on here) has produced three books on the early Penn reel production/history, and these are a massive resource for Pennheads - I strongly advise that you track down copies if available.
Cheers,
Martin

akfish

The only 249s I have seen all had bakelite spools. The metal 49 spools do fit. Did they ever ship with a metal spool?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Shellbelly

Thank you, Martin.  I'm still figuring out my pic posting issues.  All of mine are 3:1.  Only one has the curved profile spool.  What is interesting as well is this model doesn't seem to be as desirable even though it is a nice looking reel. They are usually pretty clean or clean up easily.  The box is pretty scarce and will definitely get attention.  I spent some time looking for handles, but came up empty.  I have a set of NOS plates in waiting but individual NOS parts are scarce and I want to stay with the nickel silver trim.  I just buy one every now and then and cull the best parts.

I'm looking for hard cover copies of Mike's work.  I have a thing for hard bound books.  He's helped me a great deal with my Sailfisher projects and I've paid attention to all the posts I have found.  The info is still evolving and that's fascinating.

Hey akfish, I haven't seen a 249 with a stock metal spool.  These were primarily wire line rigs and some come up today still spooled with wire. I've never been a wire liner, but I believe light weight and corrosion were factors in keeping the plastic spool.  I'd speculate that the Mariner class of the X49 models put the simple 249 on the shelf.  Adding a metal spool probably wasn't going to change the future of it.  Interesting though that the later 49/149/349 models kept a direct drive option.  Fishermen know what they want and Penn listened to fishermen.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

Deepennz

Hi Shellbelly
So what is the profile of the spool that is not contoured? which reel of the two is it?
I have trouble posting photo's on here - one day I will get it sorted...........

Shellbelly

Here are the 3 I have on the shelf.  2 spools are narrow at the center and 1 spool is wider.  I believe the spool change occurred due to feedback from wire liners.

I should add that the middle reel shows the difference between original nickel silver and chrome.  It's clear that the posts came from a later Mariner.