Penn 980: Are Spool Bearings Sealed?

Started by hotajax, June 03, 2022, 09:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotajax

I'm referring to both bearings, left and right.  Can those bearings be cleaned easily?  Thanks.  Sorry for all these questions, but I have a reel that's been with me a long time, and I'm pretty buff with having a website available for technical issues. 

Bill B

Most likely they are sealed.  You should open them, clean in a suitable cleaner of your choice (mineral spirits, IPA, lacquer thinner, acetone, etc) and then oiled with something like TSI, ReelX, or light oil.  Spool bearings do best with a light oil, any other bearing should get grease.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

hotajax

How do you open a bearing?  I'm almost 70, and never heard of opening a bearing before today.  Is there a thread here on how to do that?  Sounds like I may need to go bug my dentist for some old dental pics.  Thanks.

hotajax

Hold the presses.  I just found a tutorial on how to do it.  Thanks for your help.

Rancanfish

Now you have to tell us how ya did.   :d
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

hotajax

Right now I'm at a standstill until I can get the bearings out without destroying them  Two bearings for my reel cost $40 from Mystic.  Trying to hunt around for a puller set up that won't kill the inner race.  Thanks for asking.

Brewcrafter

Quote from: hotajax on June 03, 2022, 09:57:15 PMHow do you open a bearing?  I'm almost 70, and never heard of opening a bearing before today.  Is there a thread here on how to do that?  Sounds like I may need to go bug my dentist for some old dental pics.  Thanks.

Along with a dental pick (or a suitable fish hook) I will say a good magnifier or jewelers loupe helps a LOT. - john

Bill B

If the bearings are not stuck, then a steel rod or even a coat hanger with a 90* bend can be used.  Pullers have been made with stainless steel welding rods, Penn wrenches.  There are fancy bearing pullers, but so far I've had good luck making my own.  I will see if I can find some examples.  Bill

Here is a link to Alan's excellent run down on bearings.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0

Here is a link to a DIY bearing puller.  Haven't tried it, but looks promising.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=34478.0
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!