Machinist needed (or maybe Handi2)

Started by johndtuttle, September 08, 2021, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

:D :D :D :D :D    The hair maybe thin on top , but i refuse to let it be a hat rack.......... ::) ::) ::)
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

johndtuttle

More images:

This one is for a smaller model that even though the OD dimensions are the same, the inner is not deep enough to seat the tool.

It needs to be reamed out by some guy with the right tools (lathe).

Any takers?

Its just a paperweight right now.

johndtuttle

johndtuttle

It needs like 5mm more depth.

oldmanjoe

I sent the copper one out in yesterday mail , you should see it in 3-4 days .    Try that one and see if that works .  You will have my address on the envelope if you need to , send it to me and i will cut what ever you need .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Cuttyhunker

johnd
Drillpress and reamer for the 1/4" deeper, or maybe just a big bit and a vise
Doomed from childhood

johndtuttle

Quote from: oldmanjoe on September 11, 2021, 11:53:51 PM
 I sent the copper one out in yesterday mail , you should see it in 3-4 days .    Try that one and see if that works .  You will have my address on the envelope if you need to , send it to me and i will cut what ever you need .

Worked like a charm, Joe. The OD was a little small but the thin walls of the coupling made the ID not an issue.

Thanks so much!

johndtuttle

oldmanjoe

:)   Glad it worked .   If you want to send the billet piece , i will cut it ..
   Do you need the bigger size also the 28mm od x 25 mm id ?

Wompus Cat

Good Job Oldmanjoe .
Next they will weld the Damn things in to keep us from servicing our own Reels and or not make ANY replacement parts at all . Which is getting more prevalent these days as you can't buy a  Drag Star for any of the old Saltists anymore .
SHEESH!!!!
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

johndtuttle

Quote from: oldmanjoe on September 14, 2021, 06:09:29 AM
:)   Glad it worked .   If you want to send the billet piece , i will cut it ..
   Do you need the bigger size also the 28mm od x 25 mm id ?

I'll send the billet to you if you don't mind. Reduce inner tolerance by 5 mm.

It has an extra heavy powder coating on it that may protect the reel longer.

I'll wait on the larger until I have a reel that needs it. That way if need be we have something to measure/fit against.

THANK YOU JOE.  ;D

ps please PM address, tyvm.

phishxxii

I`m thinking of fabricating one of these tools out of a hole saw .what size should I use for the smaller sized monocoque bodies ?

Donnyboat

Handy man Joe, you sure you have`nt been making them for years, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

Quote from: phishxxii on January 03, 2022, 08:24:33 PM
I`m thinking of fabricating one of these tools out of a hole saw .what size should I use for the smaller sized monocoque bodies ?
I don`t know ,  you have to measure across the nut .    I get that you want to use a hole saw and it make perfect sense, but it is tool steel and hard to file .  Post your measurements , and i will try to help you ..
    There was some measurement posted above if that helps  from Realclean ..

20 mm od by 17mm id    I would look at 3/4 hole saw or one under size of 3/4 ..

Cadman

If someone has actual machined dimensions, I would be willing to draw up the models, and post the dimensions here for guys to use, so they can make their own tools to work on their reels. I would also want to make sure that the tools fit so I could 3d print a tool(s) with a 1/4 or 3/8 square drive on the top for a ratchet. Once 3d printed, someone would have to try it in their reel to make sure it is a close tolerance fit. The 3d tool would be plastic, so it would not scratch the nut or the reel.  Is anyone interested in doing this with me?