Pflueger Sea King 2188

Started by Paul Roberts, July 10, 2021, 09:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

This is Pflueger's Sea King 2188 -the mid-50's to 1961 model- to be followed by the 2288 in 1962. This was dubbed "Pflueger's finest surf-casting reel". It appears to be a wide-spooled Capitol, with the addition of Pflueger's (third?) version of the "Mechanical Thumber". This MT has what's called a "sealed-in unit". Dunno what it does; Looks like a solid thick washer. Looking at the schematic, my reel is missing two MT parts. Someone had either lost them, or removed them to obtain full freespool. I'd like to replace them, if I can, to find out what this version of the MT is all about. I haven't stripped the line off yet, so the spool walls aren't cleaned up yet. Here 'tis...

Paul Roberts

Got a chance to do some practice casting with this Sea King. Despite a cleaning and lubing the FS mech had some issue, intermittently failing to re-engage. And the clutch sounded as though it was striking the pinion gear at times. I took it apart several times trying to figure it out. I began to think that this reel was not going to be operable again without major parts replacements.

Part of the issue appeared to be a spring that aligns the clutch yolk. I reformed it, to no avail. Then removed it entirely. Still no success. Finally I discovered the problem: I'd failed to properly oil the clutch! It then sent a mere 2oz of lead a good distance and engaged just fine.

Proper lubrication in these old mechanical reels is critical. Not the first time I've re-discovered this.

oc1

Nice looking reel.  The clutch looks similar to an old Ambassadeur.  They are a little finicky too.