Can anyone ID this?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 16, 2021, 03:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Someone has it listed for sale locally, labeled simply as "old reel" and the only marking they see is a "40" on the reel foot. Looks like it could be something interesting, or maybe trash. I don't know. It just caught my eye.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

It looks like a Eureka Portage . Are you looking for one .  Better picture of one .  https://www.ebay.com/itm/403147218478?hash=item5ddd725e2e:g:q7oAAOSwecFhOqQ6
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

handi2

After the war machine shops didn't have much to do. They made some strange reels back then. Some are very nice.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

Thanks guys. Based on comparing to pics that link to descriptions I'm thinking this is an old hendryx, potentially 1890s. But theres ones on eBay in better shape than this for less than he's asking.

Its an interesting piece. Might not be a good first baitcaster though.

Midway Tommy

Yes, it's most likely one of the many early Hendryx raised pillar models. The bottom of the foot would tell the line capacity, probably 60 or 80.  They made a lot of affordable casting reels back in the early days.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

It is 40 yard size..  Could also be Union Hardware.  It's not unusual and shouldn't be expensive.  I've tried using similar and it was not a pleasant experience.

Bill B

Jason, is this what you are looking at?  A Hendrix 60 yard 3 pillar.  A 50 cent piece in the picture for reference.  Yours NC if you want it.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on September 16, 2021, 08:00:54 PM
Jason, is this what you are looking at?  A Hendrix 60 yard 3 pillar.  A 50 cent piece in the picture for reference.  Yours NC if you want it.  Bill

Man, I love this place. Sending PM

Bill B

Put it in the mail today....3 day shipping.....hope you catch a lot of fish on the old timer...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!