Okinawa

Started by Bill B, September 14, 2021, 01:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoseCuervo

Quote from: steelfish on September 14, 2021, 04:31:31 PM
yep, a parrotfish, they're good fighters for sure but IMO they dont taste that good to be a keeper, my daughter caught one some years ago and we took it home, tried it out but after that I have never keep a parrotfish ever, also local sealife Gov departments recommend us to dont kill parrofish because they keep the Coral-reefs in good shape.

PS: she's now almost finishing University  :D

That thing could eat coral algae through a knot hole in a fence!

oc1

Here they have been making a big deal about not killing parrotfish.  As it turns out, much of the island's sand is created by parrotfish chewing up coral.  Saving the parrotfish is like saving the sunbathing beaches.

Besides, our local parrotfish can have ciguatera like most of the other reef fish.

Gfish

Hmmm, have yet to kill one, good to know, now I won't.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

conchydong

Parrotfish. In Florida they fall under the "marine life" regulations and can only be harvested alive for aquarium use and must be under 12". They do, however, allow them to be imported as food product as they are quite popular among certain ethnic communities especially Jamaicans.
As mentioned earlier, the Japanese Sea Bream is a type of Porgy. They look a lot like the Red Porgies we have in Florida.