Mystery Penn Reel Handle

Started by SearedTuna, September 14, 2021, 10:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SearedTuna

Howdy folks,
Has anyone here seen and or used one of these?

1badf350

I've seen a lot of these on Penn reels in the overseas market. Specifically in Japan.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

SearedTuna

That's where I got it.
Not many I have seen that are a factory Penn part though.

Penn 570 is all I know about it.
That and any Senator I have seen here with this type of handle is stupid expensive.
Luckily it is on a very good condition 9/0!

Maxed Out

It sure looks cool. I've seen these on several Japanese Penns. The lever kit was sold separately as an add on. The kit included the small lever, and the handle/knob assy. The way it works is drag gets tighter as more tension is added, then move handle back a hair and drag will loosen, but not by much. If it's something heavy and you crank very hard, it'll go into full drag really fast. The catalog I have shows it was only available for 6/0-9/0, and small conventional Penns. No kit for 113h according to the mid 70's Japanese/Penn catalog

Shark hunter has a 9/0 with this lever kit. I'm pretty sure it's not one he uses. Better for display and good conversation piece.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

SearedTuna

Thanks for the info Ted!

How are those Penn MTL's doing?

Maxed Out

Quote from: SearedTuna on September 15, 2021, 12:04:08 AM
Thanks for the info Ted!

How are those Penn MTL's doing?

Hi Jay, 3 of those MTL reels went to members here, and other 3 are hiding away in a cupboard. We appreciate you offering them up to only the Ohana. That was a real life gold mine you found !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oldmanjoe

This is the first time i have seen this idea on a penn , but it is a old idea as seen here https://reelsnlures.com/j-a-coxe-reels-los-angles-ca/
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

handi2

I sent him a NIB Penn MTL a few months ago.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SearedTuna

I'm gonna get a couple more to put on builds. I'll keep one 9/0 as it sits since it is a Japanese market reel that the handle is on.