connecting 2 different size lines

Started by bill19804, September 08, 2021, 05:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill19804

does  anyone  have a fool proof  method  of  connecting  80  lb mono mainline  to  200  lb  flourocarbon shock/abrasion resist  leader?

Keta

I use loop to loop but I also make my own wind on top shots.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

When I get to about 100 lb test I like to use crimps. So I would probably tie the 80 lb to a swivel and crimp the 200 lb side. That way if I wanted to change my leader I just cut off the swivel and attach a new one and new leader size.

Hamachi

Three turn surgeons knot. A little bulky but perfect for holding the sinker rig rubberband away from the hook. This is the strongest, easiest knot to tie, besides the Bimini twist. Basically an overhand knot passed two more times through the loop, wetted and pulled tight.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Hamachi

Don't get me wrong, Lee and John, both have excellent solutions to the problem. I used to tie a blood knot, then uni to uni it took me a long time to get to the surgeons knot. I kinda hate to give up information so easily as it took so long for me to find it. Just keep the knot outside of the guides and you should be fine.

Cor

I would not have thought that it is even possible to tie a knot in 200 lb flourocarbon.
I could not quickly find the diameter, but probably around 2 mm?
Cornelis

Hamachi

200 lb. yo-zuri.058"(1.480mm) diameter. Old school dude Jimmi Liu once told me, "don't be afraid to tie knots in the larger diameter lines. Everyone is afraid to, don't worry about it." Jimmi is considered the father, innovator of modern rail style fishing. "Back in the day, that's all we had." If you don't have the means or the right connectors, just tie a knot.