Thoughts on the Avet SX 5.3 Magic Cast?

Started by flvol77, August 19, 2009, 05:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flvol77

any thoughts on this reel?  I will be using in the inlets for snook, and offshore to cast live bait.

alantani

distance casting is really not something i do, or am any good at.  the guys on bloodydecks.com seem to like it!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tuffecs

I have the SXJ 5.3, non-MC version.  Should have bought the MC because I'll be doing mostly surf casting.  This reel is very nice, but the spool is fast.  I get quite of bit of loose line or birdnests after casts (cuz my thumb is not so smart). So I'm trying to slow it down with static mags.  Another option is to do a custom fitted adjustable mag knob, but it'll cost me over a hundred dollars.  Maybe I should sell it and buy an MC version, but they don't have my preferred star drag.  I'd have to go up to the MXL MC star drag.  I think you have the right Avet reel for your purpose.

creech

i think everyone should have an sx in their toolbox. such a versatile reel. and as powerful as you want it to be. sxj/sx/sxg2/sx 2 speeds/sx speed raptor. mc is a great feature too.

i've caught many pelagics on the little sx 2 speed and a 700l. people don't think something that miniature can catch school size pelagics and anything <100

if i can only have 1 reel combo it'd be a avet sx raptor on a 800xl. done.

Squidh90

I'm not super familiar with your areas fisheries, so I'm not sure exactly how far you need to throw, but an sx mc should be perfect for what you're doing. The mags are a little too strong at the lowest setting for my taste, but I'm mostly throwing off piers and in the surf. If you don't need to reach out 150-200 yards the mc cast reels are great.

Breadfan

Quote from: Squidh90 on September 17, 2021, 12:58:29 AM
I'm not super familiar with your areas fisheries, so I'm not sure exactly how far you need to throw, but an sx mc should be perfect for what you're doing. The mags are a little too strong at the lowest setting for my taste, but I'm mostly throwing off piers and in the surf. If you don't need to reach out 150-200 yards the mc cast reels are great.

Agreed. They are good for everything but the surf. The mag is too strong and I couldn't get use to the lever drag, or make it work properly for the fish I was after. I needed a light drag setting and although I could set it up that way, when I got into a big stingray (by catch), it was then too light to slow it down and you can't adjust them on the 'fly" like you can star drags. It is a very nice well built reel, just didn't work out for me. If you aren't casting ultra long distance, it should work good for what you proposed.