My lightly modified Cardinal 3

Started by tincanary, September 16, 2021, 10:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

Quote from: philaroman on September 17, 2021, 11:45:41 PM
would LOVE something like that...  curious about Redington Butter Stick, if you know anything

Quote from: tincanary on September 17, 2021, 04:12:14 PM
Keep in mind Japanese lines go by the JAFS, meaning their 4lb is 0.165mm versus in the US which is typically 0.205mm.  That's a big difference.  This spool will hold about 65yd of 0.205mm 4lb.

you can get the thin, pre-stretched, Japan-made nylon in US sold as guide-size 100m/100yd tippet spools
in simplest, most general terms:
if you wish your 4# running line were stronger -- you replace it w/ 4X tippet
if you wish your 4# running line were thinner -- you replace it w/ 5X tippet
costs double or more, so cheapo like me opts for braid backing + 50yd tippet

Oh man, a butter stick would be sweet.  I know nothing about them but they do look really nice.  A friend of mine uses a 7' Ameriglass 3wt set up for spinning, running a Daiwa Mini Mite and 2lb Maxima.  It's the epitome of a noodle, but he can drift crickets in the current with no added weight.  He uses a #10 bait holder hook and a cricket, absolutely obliterates the trout with that thing.  I don't fish meat very often personally, but he catches significantly more fish than me when we go out together.  We were out a couple of months back, risers everywhere and I couldn't buy a bite if my life depended on it, but his crickets ended up providing us with a nice shore lunch.

steelfish

I really want to get myself a 4wt 7'6" Lamiglas Honey blank set up for spinning, with a Michigan handle of course.  Would be a nice match with the Cardinal and capable of fishing the tiniest of baits with the shallow Avail spool I have on it now.  I'm spooled with 4lb Maxima right now, fantastic line that seems to fly under the radar.  Here's the spool I have, the CD0490R, rated to hold 90m of 4lb.  Keep in mind Japanese lines go by the JAFS, meaning their 4lb is 0.165mm versus in the US which is typically 0.205mm.  That's a big difference.  This spool will hold about 65yd of 0.205mm 4lb.
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1020

the rod on the video is a Fly rod with spinning guides as replacement of the fly guides or a fly blank built with spinnig guides? I mean at the end is the same thing but took my attention the short reargrip, almost as if he just took a fly rod and replaced the guides.

I had said it manytimes LOL, but I have a eagle claw 8.6ft 5wt fly rod that I was gonna cut above the foregrip and built it as UL spinning rod or just install a reelseat plate on the foregrip and replace the guides, I've had too much work on my "normal job" and also on the custom rod side for friends and customer so I havent messed with thar rod and I dont know when I might have time for that.
I also havent modified that fly rod because I have two nice UL fenwicks "eagle" model to use UL lures on saltwater, one is vintage model y the other is a modern one
The Baja Guy

tincanary

Quote from: steelfish on September 18, 2021, 12:53:54 AM
I really want to get myself a 4wt 7'6" Lamiglas Honey blank set up for spinning, with a Michigan handle of course.  Would be a nice match with the Cardinal and capable of fishing the tiniest of baits with the shallow Avail spool I have on it now.  I'm spooled with 4lb Maxima right now, fantastic line that seems to fly under the radar.  Here's the spool I have, the CD0490R, rated to hold 90m of 4lb.  Keep in mind Japanese lines go by the JAFS, meaning their 4lb is 0.165mm versus in the US which is typically 0.205mm.  That's a big difference.  This spool will hold about 65yd of 0.205mm 4lb.
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1020

the rod on the video is a Fly rod with spinning guides as replacement of the fly guides or a fly blank built with spinnig guides? I mean at the end is the same thing but took my attention the short reargrip, almost as if he just took a fly rod and replaced the guides.

I had said it manytimes LOL, but I have a eagle claw 8.6ft 5wt fly rod that I was gonna cut above the foregrip and built it as UL spinning rod or just install a reelseat plate on the foregrip and replace the guides, I've had too much work on my "normal job" and also on the custom rod side for friends and customer so I havent messed with thar rod and I dont know when I might have time for that.
I also havent modified that fly rod because I have two nice UL fenwicks "eagle" model to use UL lures on saltwater, one is vintage model y the other is a modern one

Jim is using an older Lamiglass Classic Glass, they've been out of production for a long time now, probably over 20 years is my guess.  His is a 4wt I believe.

philaroman

Quote from: tincanary on September 18, 2021, 12:25:40 AM
Oh man, a butter stick would be sweet.  I know nothing about them but they do look really nice.  A friend of mine uses a 7' Ameriglass 3wt set up for spinning, running a Daiwa Mini Mite and 2lb Maxima.  It's the epitome of a noodle, but he can drift crickets in the current with no added weight.  He uses a #10 bait holder hook and a cricket, absolutely obliterates the trout with that thing.  I don't fish meat very often personally, but he catches significantly more fish than me when we go out together.  We were out a couple of months back, risers everywhere and I couldn't buy a bite if my life depended on it, but his crickets ended up providing us with a nice shore lunch.

"the epitome of a noodle"  ;D  I know what that means
have an 11'6" Slow Action 1-4# -- guessing tip section, by itself, is 1wt-equivalent
short alternate butt, gives me an 8-footer for "XUL finesse bait"
at some point, will do same for the old 12'+ Feralite 2-6#
guessing that tip section is 2wt/3wt ballpark -- should make an interesting 9-footer

back in the day, I used 4# Chameleon -- good line, but a bit thick
I was happier with 4X/5X olive-tinted tippet, as running line

oc1

That BSF looks interesting.  Is it OK to call it a round reel despite the drop-dowh HG gear box?  Something else to put on the wishful thinking list.

To adapt a fly rod I remove the butt cap, cut off the reel seat, then use that protruding four-inch nub to attach a longer handle.  Divide the fly rod line weight by 16 to get the new lure weight in ounces.

tincanary

Quote from: oc1 on September 18, 2021, 11:25:50 AM
That BSF looks interesting.  Is it OK to call it a round reel despite the drop-dowh HG gear box?  Something else to put on the wishful thinking list.

To adapt a fly rod I remove the butt cap, cut off the reel seat, then use that protruding four-inch nub to attach a longer handle.  Divide the fly rod line weight by 16 to get the new lure weight in ounces.

She's round on the palm side.

It's interesting the way Shimano engineered this reel.  The palm side is really small, while the crank side is more like the larger 100+ sizes.  The Calcutta Conquest has a massive main gear compared to the Calcutta B and D reels so it has the offset gearbox like a low profile.  The BFS variant has a 7.5g 32mm diameter spool and the 100 size has a 13g 34mm diameter spool.

Donnyboat

If this post was placed in the trout section of the forum, maybe it would get more views, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

tincanary

Quote from: Donnyboat on September 18, 2021, 02:08:07 PM
If this post was placed in the trout section of the forum, maybe it would get more views, cheers Don.

Where is that section?  I looked around but didn't see it.  Maybe I need a new prescription for my external eyeballs lol