Which Rod Should I Get

Started by Crab Pot, September 16, 2021, 10:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

So my car got broke into while in San Diego and they got among other things two of my heavy long range kits.

I have USAA insurance and they have been great.

After being spooled on my last trip, Penn International VISXS 20 100# braid, I decided to go with the same reel but in a 50 model.

The question I have is what rod to pair it with?

I'll be putting 200# braid on the reel when it gets here next week.

I want it to be a multipurpose kit, kite, standup, rail, ect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

MarkT

Why 200# and not 130#?  I have 130# on my Mak 50 for fishing 130# top shot.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Crab Pot

200# was suggested from the store I bought it from.

Crab Pot

Ling

Quote from: Crab Pot on September 17, 2021, 11:26:06 PM
Anyone?

Even if you put 200 lb braid on it, the reel won't do 100 lbs of drag.  A United Composites Extreme Invictus would do nicely.  Buy a Gladiator if you think you need to max it completely out.  I would put 130 lb braid on it and fish it at max 65 lbs of drag with an Invictus.  I have never pushed a reel past 50 lbs drag

MarkT

I agree with Brendan, my Mak 50 w/130# is on a UC Invictus 76. I landed a 270# YFT using Alan's rig in 20 min using 45# at strike and more when it was at deep color.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

sciaenops

Steve-

Can't add anything to previous suggestions.

Imo, a 50 wide would work on the kite but would be pretty cumbersome & overkill for most other boat apps, including heavy jigging/flat falling.

The biggest reel I have is a Mak 20 - with 120# j-braid & 100# mono topshot. I have it on a Phenix Axis 720X3H and it has handled fish up to 200# w/relative ease, so I'm guessing it could handle more. You may want to stick to a 20 or 30 for all around duty.

Brewcrafter

That Viper is a sweet rod.  Mine is paired with a VISX20 loaded with 100#.

Benni3

I miss it this week,,,, :-\ but go up to ohana means family and zoom call on Saturday,,,,,, :D good people there to give you the ends and outs to this type of fishing and gear,,,,, ;D

Crab Pot

Thanks guys, I'll look into those rods.