Heavy artillery

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, September 18, 2021, 02:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris1

Very jealous!

I had my week to the Canary Islands cancelled twice last year and again this spring so abandoned hope for 2021 but would certainly love to go back to Madeira too. My mate crewed there for several years and knows those grounds well.

I did manage a blue marlin last time - landed at 12.00 noon, cleared immigration, was picked up by skipper's wife, quick change at the hotel and on board in Calheta by 2pm. Hooked up before 3.00pm - nice fish too. Then five blank days. Ah well... that's blue marlin fishing.

Currently cold and wet here in the UK - unlike your picture.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

That must have been amazing to be hooked up less than three hours after your plane landed Chris!

I hope that you are still able to get in a good trip this year.  I have heard that the Cape Verdes should have some good fishing in the next couple of months, and if I remember correctly, the peak season for the Great Barrier Reef is late October, give or take a few weeks.

I have never been to the Canaries.  Those La Gomera bluefin are very tempting, but it's a long way from California!

Randy

UKChris1

Hi Randy,

I went to the Cape Verdes for eight consecutive years and had fantastic luck. Caught a bunch of lovely marlin and 'cut my teeth' there, as it were, with Zak Conde and Marty Bates, plus Olaf 'the Grimmel' amongst others. Seas were always rough though, but great skippers and mates who taught me a lot.

Tenerife has some good bluefin fishing at times too. Yes, indeed, halfway round the world from California but only a four-hour flight from home (when we can fly again without the hassles of Covid!), but on my first day after bluefin out of Tenerife on a half-day trip I had bluefin of 550 and 450lb almost back-to-back - couldn't move the next day! Some workout... My two mates had three more between them over our five days but I blanked on my last day.

Plans now being hatched for 2022 - Canaries I hope and Balearic Islands too, but Madeira is tempting.

Cheers,
Chris

Vintage Offshore Tackle

What an amazing day you had Chris!  I hope that the travel conditions improve and that 2022 is your best year yet!

UKChris1

Thank you for your kind wishes.
I may stay in the UK for our home-grown bluefin if the fishery is open next year.

A propos nothing in particular, this really is a fantastic site - not only a source of great information but populated by gentlemen (and ladies), unlike the general trollsville online.

broadway

That's some view, Randy!
Hey, sure beats work, right?!
Best
Dom

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thank you Dom.  You are right about that!