Florida Adventures

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 20, 2021, 12:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

now you have a rod for casting more heavy lures  ;D ;D
The Baja Guy

oc1

You can fix it, but it will leave a dead spot in the most important part of the rod for casting.  

Clean up the broken ends, find two inches of stainless wire that will just fix inside the blank and epoxy it in place.  Then, wrap about 2.5 inches with fiberglass or carbon tow (threads from a piece of woven material), then epoxy the fiberglass or carbon. Sand it it into a gradual hump then add another light of epoxy to bring back the gloss.

It will hold well enough to break in a different spot the next time.  I'm ashamed that I know this.

philaroman

why bother re-attaching a short broken tip?  ...can't get the same action, anyway
don't know what you'll end up with -- not likely "great", or even "good"
if you want to play, make a tip from whippy solid-glass ice blank, for a shy-bite bank rod
Shimano tried that w/ Voltaeus (poorly) -- YOU could do better
otherwise, just turn it into a shorter, heavier rod, as per Alex

JasonGotaProblem

Yeah that tip got itself gone. Otherwise I woulda salvaged the guide as a spare for if one breaks.

It was an extra fast taper 10-20# rod that could launch 2oz 100yds. I now find myself wondering what it'll be like now. It might be too stiff for inshore. I guess I gotta find out.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

:)  Just put a tip top on and cast it , you may be surprised on how well it still preforms !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shark Hunter

I snapped off a brand new rig that wrapped around the tip last week.
Very Frustrating.
Life is Good!

Brewcrafter

Jason - May not be the perfect rod it used to be, but fish it anyway - now it has "street cred".  Years from now when you are out fishing if anyone says anything about your "custom" Terramar, now you have a good story to tell.  I've been there and understand the heartbreak; in my case a Fenwick and a Garcia Conolon trout rod.  The trout rod was beyond saving (boat cleat accident) but the Fenwick, with it's abbreviated tip, still catches fish.  And I suspect you can still nail fish just fine with your Terramar-  and I am looking forward to the photos and reports! - john

JasonGotaProblem

It's ok I happened to have a fuji tip of the right size laying around. Was the wrong size when I bought it. Funny when that happens.

First gar as an adult though, on the SS1300. Ballpark 2' with teeeeth.

I expected more fight. Over in under 30 sec. Still fun though.

oc1

Good going.  Snout is  too short for a longnose gar and it may be too long for an alligator gar.  Is that a Florida gar?

Benni3

I got 1 in Florida and i was so excited,,,, :D but the guide wasn't,,,,, :( he was a x bass pro,,,,,,,, ;D

nelz

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 12, 2021, 03:38:01 AMFirst gar as an adult though, on the SS1300. Ballpark 2' with teeeeth.

I expected more fight. Over in under 30 sec. Still fun though.

Yep, they fight like a wet rag.  ::)

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on October 12, 2021, 05:44:36 AM
Good going.  Snout is  too short for a longnose gar and it may be too long for an alligator gar.  Is that a Florida gar?
I believe it is a Florida spotted gar. (Edit I was wrong. florida gar and spotted gar are diff species. The FL gar has spots. But the name "florida spotted gar" is gibberish).

He swallowed the hook, I let him keep it. I like my fingers the way they are.

JasonGotaProblem

Couldn't sleep last night, turns out I wasn't the only thing still awake. Also apparently it's a rule that the bigger the fish the goofier the face I make taking a pic with it. One of these days I'll finally land a BFT, and I'll probably look like mr Bean holding it.

Benni3

Great job man,,,,, ;) I don't like to hole fish sideways for a photo because that always seems to be close to there aftco,,,,,, :-[ it just seems wrong somehow,,,,,, ;D

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on November 10, 2021, 12:50:51 PM
Couldn't sleep last night, turns out I wasn't the only thing still awake. Also apparently it's a rule that the bigger the fish the goodies the face I make taking a pic with it. One of these days I'll finally land a BFT, and I'll probably look like mr Bean holding it.

the smile size increase proportionally to fish size

wait till you catch a 40#YT  or 25# leopard grouper in shallow waters (pretty similar to Gag grouper of florida)
The Baja Guy