TSI 321 question

Started by Chuck750ss, September 21, 2021, 03:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck750ss

Since retirement I have started back bass fishing.(black bass) Anyway I took three of my reels and fully cleaned and flushed the spool bearings and then lubed with one drop of TSI321. They cast like a dream. You can "hear" the bearings when casting, sounds like a muted description of what I am told ceramic bearings sound like. Is this normal? Also, how often should I relube? Assuming about a weeks use per month.
I had done the same with my Abu 7000 some time ago, but it only gets used surf fishing and even at that it generally plays second fiddle to my spinners.
Thanks in advance.

JasonGotaProblem

I would say as often as you service the reel. To me tsi on bearings is a normal part of reel service. But I've never opened a reel to oil the bearings with no other service occurring. If the spool is still spinning in a way that you find pleasing, then the bearings are still adequately lubed.

Also quantity of drops is irrelevant, but your approach is likely sound because excess isn't optimal either, and odds are one drop is likely enough. Personally I flood mine with tsi, spin them a few times, then leave them on a paper towel for the excess to run off. I cant say how much actually remains but I know all surfaces have been coated.

Others with more experience might provide a better answer.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

With a lighter, faster lube like TS321, you might expect to hear it a bit vs. a heavier stock oil, or even grease, which would slow the speed of the race considerably and also dampen noise. Think of it as a car going 5 mph vs 95- you're gonna hear the higher rpm and any imbalance in tires or drivetrain will be highlighted. I'd use it and see if it wears in a bit; if it casts as you say bearings shoud still be good. If you have a surf rod (whatever you have 7000 on) you might consider loading 2-3 oz weights and slinging it long a few casts- this is way more speed plus, retrieve under load, than you will get flipping for bass, and could polish the races out for you. My 0.02- this has worked for me on some Abu's and Sealine's in the past; some got new bearings. Not a cure-all for bad bearings, but without pulling the shields off, you never know if there is a little corrosion or schmutz in there that a few hard casts won't polish out.

John