Madeira fishing report

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, September 22, 2021, 06:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

The marlin are few and far between here in Madeira right now, but Pesca Grossa Captain Gerard Frothy de Silva  managed to find a nice bigeye.  In the background is Cabo Girao, the second highest sea cliff in Europe, and historically one the world's best grander grounds.

CooldadE

Wow !!!  Livin' the dream...
Good on ya Randy !

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Wow! Nice tuna. You can really see the difference on that'n between a Bigeye and a Yellowfin. Hope yer havin a great fishin vacation. Them Marlin are out there waitin for you somewhere... Any cool things about the local culture you've experienced?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Hardy Boy

Nice Randy ! What did it weigh ?

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

akfish

A little help please: How can you tell that this is a Big Eye as opposed to yellowfin? The eye looks big, I guess, and the fins seem short in the picture, but is there another obvious sign? I've caught lots of yft and bft, but have never seen a Big Eye. Someday...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

thorhammer

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! Good onya RP!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Quote from: akfish on September 22, 2021, 03:32:27 PM
A little help please: How can you tell that this is a Big Eye as opposed to yellowfin? The eye looks big, I guess, and the fins seem short in the picture, but is there another obvious sign? I've caught lots of yft and bft, but have never seen a Big Eye. Someday...

You actually godda cut open the peritoneum and look for "striations" on the liver to be certain. Big Eye have them, yellowfin don't. And the YF have one liver lobe longer than the other, BE don't. Outwardly, it's the fins like you mentioned, fin shape and maybe the number of rays.

Like all critters there's lots of little body part variations in different places where they exist. Color can vary quite a bit, for example. Up in Ak. you may even have seen different color patterns on salmoid species from the same main drainage, but their home tributaries are different.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: alantani on September 22, 2021, 04:43:51 PM
Photoshopped!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I knew that I shouldn't have posted the original photo with my gut hanging out on Facebook!  Just to make you happy Alan, here's the original photo.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: CooldadE on September 22, 2021, 07:31:55 AM
Wow !!!  Livin' the dream...
Good on ya Randy !

Cool

Thank you Cool!

CooldadE

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on September 22, 2021, 10:47:30 PM
Quote from: alantani on September 22, 2021, 04:43:51 PM
Photoshopped!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I knew that I shouldn't have posted the original photo with my gut hanging out on Facebook!  Just to make you happy Alan, here's the original photo.

You call that a gut ? Mine looks like that... when I suck it in !

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

steelfish

great memory material right there, congrats Randy
The Baja Guy

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Gfish on September 22, 2021, 01:58:15 PM
Wow! Nice tuna. You can really see the difference on that'n between a Bigeye and a Yellowfin. Hope yer havin a great fishin vacation. Them Marlin are out there waitin for you somewhere... Any cool things about the local culture you've experienced?

Thank you Greg!  No luck on the marlin, never even saw one.  I was told that the last marlin was caught here the week before last.

I am sorry to say that I have been less than observant of the local culture, but I did notice some striking similarities between the waters of the south side of Madeira and the Kona side of the Big Island.  

Both are typically calm, being sheltered from the prevailing winds by large volcanoes.   Both feature steep drop-offs creating fertile upwellings and bringing big game fish close to shore.  Both are known for big blue marlin and have produced more than their fair share of granders.