So…You Think YOUR having a bad day?

Started by foakes, September 24, 2021, 12:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Made a run over to the Northfork dump today to get rid of a lot of cardboard, plastics, and reel and rod parts out of the utility trailer.  Just had a new axle, spring, hub, and shackle assembly welded on a couple of days ago.  Trailer handled great with about 1500 pounds of parts and stuff in it.

The back road I take from our house is about 40 miles.  It is a very narrow and curvy mountain road that starts at 4500' — drops down to 1000' at the San Joaquin River — then back up to 3500' just before entering the tiny Berg called Northfork, in the next County to the North.

Just before topping out at the Northfork turn-off — I came across this giant trailer (85' long?) and a Caterpillar Earth Mover (back-hoe?) over the side.  I was the first on the scene.  Stopped to see if anyone was injured — just the driver's pride, I guess.

A few minutes later, a couple of PGE trucks came back to see what happened — since they were the pilot vehicles guiding him down the hill to the power plant at Kerckhoff Reservoir.  They realized that he wasn't behind them anymore...

This truck had really no business being on this road — under any circumstances.  They could of used smaller rigs to complete their work down below.

Dumped my load, back by the scene in 40 minutes.  By that time the CHP, Fire Dept., and many PGE supervisors were there.

I was going to ask the driver if he would like me to winch him back up and upright — but figured he had enough embarrassment for today — without a Toyota Tacoma pulling him out!

Glad no one was hurt in any other vehicles.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RowdyW

Hey Fred, the Toyota my be tough but not against that Cat.  ;D      Rudy

oldmanjoe

Yer they just don`t lay over to take a nap.  Didn`t see any chains and strange to see the lift arms and bucket up a little higher than normal .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Might have gotten off the side when he was loading it — really don't know.

At any rate, a lot of drama — and no one hurt.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

Quote from: RowdyW on September 24, 2021, 01:00:15 AM
Hey Fred, the Toyota my be tough but not against that Cat.  ;D      Rudy
Im sure he could of pulled it out,,,,,,,, ;D

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Paul Roberts

Ouch! Just a couple of weeks ago a friend and I were headed up a narrow 4wd road to search out some possible indigenous hunting blinds I'd seen years ago. Well up in, we came to a guy in an extended cab pickup pulling an enormous and brand new camper trailer. He was stuck. Big surprise. ::) He said a buddy told him the road would be fine for his trailer. : ::) A truck was coming down the other side of him. And two trucks came up behind us (moose hunters chomping at the bit to get their camps set up.) We had to dismantle the extended platform on the back, that held a generator and spare tire, that was crushed into the dirt. We then helped him back into the woods, pushing down saplings, that luckily had just enough room for him to back into. Unhitched the trailer, turned the truck around, and re- hitched. I gathered up a pile of parts that were strung along the road that had been ripped or scraped off the camper, including the power awning. :-\ Traffic then resumed.

On our return trip, near dark, (having decided the elongated pits were more likely mining activity) the coast was clear, but scraped boulders, broken trees, and broken plastic bits were left to tell the tale.