Fish Processing Yields

Started by Bill B, September 24, 2021, 03:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Found this chart on the Fisherman's Processing website regarding the yield of fish filets from whole fish.  Thought it was interesting.  The bigger the fish the better the yield. So I vow to only catch cow tuna and jumbo yellowtail 🤣🤣🤣  I'm sure some of our more talented members could do better.  But considering the volume of fish going through these processors they can't really take the time to get it all.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

philaroman

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on September 24, 2021, 03:17:11 PM
The bigger the fish the better the yield. So I vow to only catch cow tuna and jumbo yellowtail 🤣🤣🤣

just fry the little guys, whole -- crispy skin & fin chips become important part of the "yield"  ;)

Aiala

Bear in mind that, depending on a) how many fish you keep and b) the average size thereof, your processing bill will range from reasonable to massive...  :o  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Wompus Cat

If  you Have to use  a Commercial processor and I fully understand the logistics and time involved when needed the yield posted is ok I guess. You  take them 200 pounds  and get a third or less back .  A long time ago I started processing my own stuff .
Vegetables,Fish,Deer, anything I can get  Fresh  that don't eat me first.

Get back to dock and get my knife and go to Town right to the bone not hack around and just get some of the bigger chunks .
When I get through a cat just looks at it sadly and wished he could make a soup out of whats left.
I hate so called Deer Processors who Bulk Grind they say.  You end up getting instead of a clean  Fresh killed field dressed young Deer you get one that was Gut Shot and the Bladder punctured all over the meat and thrown on the hood of a car some 600 miles away and the meat has hair ,bone ,hide, road tar ,dust ,dried old sunbaked meat pieces and shrapnel in it  . But that's just me .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Bill B

Last time I went rock cod fishing I had the deckhands gill and gut only. The next day I fileted all the fish and the wife cooked the carcasses down for dog food. Probably had 14 lbs of filet and another 6 lbs of dog food. The house smelled like he k for a  ouple days but the dogs sure enjoyed it.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

I bleed, gut/gill em out on the water. But rarely keep anything anymore. Usually too exhausted to process em after washing everything in FW and putting it away. Some species here have a good possibility of cigutara poisoning when eaten. I always fillet, then cut the spine up for cooking and get the cheek meat off the bigger ones.
They use that term "blood line". Most of that is kidney. There IS a big artery that runs along the spine up behind there, though. Anyone ever eat the liver, or brain, or eyes?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!