Main Menu

Squid head jig

Started by Bill B, September 24, 2021, 03:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

While surfing the inter web found this picture of squid head jigs.....Gary do you think this might work in your waters or just the octopus?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Hardy Boy

If they sink to the bottom ............................... they will work.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Hardy Boy

To give you an example how "fussy" halibut are, I once cleaned a halibut that had 5 whole small Dungeness crabs and an empty 5 alive pop can in it stomach. If you put a lure in front of a hungry butt chances are it will eat it. That being said I still agonize over what jig and colour I should use ................ go figure. ???

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Bill B

Quote from: Hardy Boy on September 24, 2021, 05:23:58 PM
To give you an example how "fussy" halibut are, I once cleaned a halibut that had 5 whole small Dungeness crabs and an empty 5 alive pop can in it stomach. If you put a lure in front of a hungry butt chances are it will eat it. That being said I still agonize over what jig and colour I should use ................ go figure. ???

Cheers:

Todd

Now that's funny 😆
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

gstours

Yes the squid 🦑 head will work.  The weight will tell you when and where you can get it down to your quarry.  Riggings always are openerstik.   Add a strip of bait and hold on.
  Time will tell.   All reports welcome.
Show us some rigging and catch pictures.   If possible.

jurelometer

Wth those wide fins, not  the best shape for finding bottom in a current. Those fins are going to generate lift  and might cause it to  spin a bit.

I would put my money on a plain old torpedo sinker with a squid skirt first.   Maybe paint the torpedo  to look like a 5 alive can :)

But you never know.  The fish get the vote that counts.

-J

gstours

Here is a secret one with no fins.  Lead is inside and maybe more life like?
   Got bit too. ::)