Cardinal 7 Bearing

Started by Paul Roberts, September 24, 2021, 08:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

I'm dismantling a Zebco Cardinal 7 and cannot get the bearing and pinion out. I don't see a c-clip or anything holding it. Is there a trick to it different than the smaller Cards? Thanks!

Edit: Got it! It was glued in place with old grease.

Midway Tommy

That happens. It will probably need a thorough cleaning & grease repack.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

PacRat

I make a little bearing puller that looks like this. I cut a piece of tube that's a little bigger than the bearing OD. I like to use a piece of copper tube or aluminum conduit.

I put this over the bearing then put a fender washer on that.

I tighten the pinion nut and it pulls the bearing out of the pocket.

I like to use softer metals like alum. or copper. You can also squeeze these rings/tubes a little out of round if you need to in order to make it fit your reel housing and bearing pocket.

-Mike

I hope this helps

Paul Roberts

Thanks, Tom. It's getting one. This one, besides a couple layers of old greases, had what looked like petroleum jelly. Possibly this was a waterproofing attempt? Pretty gross. There's also something really gummy in places,. Mineral spirits, and playing dental hygienist, is doing the job. Overall, besides paint loss, it's intact.

Thanks, Mike. Pretty nifty little tool! Part of the fun of reel work is solving problems and making/modifying tools. There are many ingenious ideas out there I just hadn't, and probably wouldn't have, thought of. Thanks, again.