Penn 700 Spinfisher main gears?

Started by williewiskers, September 24, 2021, 08:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williewiskers

I acquired my first Spinfisher 700 today from a friend with its box and TWO aluminum spools. Everything has virtually no damaged paint and no corrosion, however the STEEL main gear is CRACKED where the oscillation bushing shaft is pressed in. The bushing was found in pieces and the "nub" is out of the gear and I need a new gear. I have found a plethora of brass (or bronze) used replacement main gears, but zero steel. Is there a definitive difference between the two materials? Was the steel better or stronger? Was it replaced with the brass/bronze because it was subject to cracking? Should I not worry about it and just get the brass/bronze one?

I plan on doing the 5-stack ht-100 drag stack upgrade and fishing this reel.

tyia
The Wiskers

handi2

I would go with the bronze gears but you have to make sure whatever you get will match with the pinion gear.

I love those old reels.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cuttyhunker

Great old reels!  I had a cracked main in a 700 a few years ago and learned that while a 704 main fits fine and spins everything nicely it is a bit taller than the 700 gear and you'll not be able to replace the side cover.  There are a few ebay guys that seem to specialize in reel parts, I messaged them for the gear and one guy had it in his pile.
Doomed from childhood

Gfish

Bronze/brass might wear-in easier on your pinion, plus, the original steel one cracked. Wonder what kinda steel? Stainless?
Good questions. Someone's gotta have some info. Looked on Mysticpennparts, and that's a tough reel to buy parts for, many are "no longer available", including the main gear.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Great reels, WW! —

If you don't already have a source for the discontinued gear/gear set — I have them.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

williewiskers

There was one "set" on ebay cheap, but it included the bronze gear. For $16 shipped i couldn't get stuck not having it so i bought it. It includes the complete main gear assembly, AR gear, washer, pinion, oscillation bushing and pinion bearing.

I wonder what im "losing" installing a bronze gear in place of the steel one... On my senators I generally take out bronze main gears and install the old carbon steel ones. I have NEVER heard of a main gear cracking, let alone a steel one. I imagined the force required to do such a thing would destroy the rest of the reel - or AT LEAST something else in there close to it; but everything else seems pristine. Its a real mystery.

I just wonder if it was common for the steel gears to crack like that and THAT's why they went to bronze...

I dont think it was stainless. The main gear shaft looked stainless and the main gear itself looked different, more zinc-like; but definitely not the same metal as everything else, which I believe IS stainless.

oc1

williewiskers

The new brass main gear meshed perfectly with the existing pinion. I didnt even swap the pinion / shaft / bearing. Now Im having a problem with the bail release arm rubbing the stainless bearing retainer. I started another thread for that.

Ty everyone!

thorhammer

Willie,

Gazillions of 704/706's have been made with the bronze / brass gears, let alone multigazillion larger SS reels, which have caught all manner of large fish. I've caught some rays up to 100 lbs on 704Z, and they are a PITA to move when they decide to stick to the bottom.  I'd think if you fish that reel within the capability of the drag stack you'll be fine- you can strip about any gear out if you try, but that particular one will handle some pretty large fish on 20-25 mono or 50 lb braid and top shot with the greased CF stack. My 0.02.

John