Masao overhead reel

Started by Donnyboat, September 25, 2021, 02:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi All, I have a Masao conventional reel, I am trying to service, & having trouble placing it back together, although I took quite a few digital pics they are not very clear, unfortunately, the model detail plate is missing from the Tail plate.
      the only details I can give, there is a plate inside the face plate, that has 3 screws to keep it in place, this plate holds the winding shaft in line, also keep the dog pivot shaft from moving, this part has K93 part number on it, there is know other part numbers in it. the reel is star drag, & line level, It is also about the same size as a Penn 350 line level reel, the Face & Tail plates are a black plastic, & a Gold alloy plate next to the spool, any help to find the schematics would be appreciated, now this one will keep you all bald ay, I will try & send some pictures soon, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

Don, according to Google and Bing, you are the only person in the world that has a conventional Masao reel. I hope those photos are clear enough.

Wompus Cat

Don , Never heard of a Masoa Reel of any sort ....lol
Would like to see one .
If you need me to post pix just send em my way .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

philaroman

he misspelled Mossad -- it's for pirate waters
you hit the secret latch & it's a hand-cranked Uzi

Wompus Cat

Quote from: philaroman on September 26, 2021, 02:16:43 PM
he misspelled Mossad -- it's for pirate waters
you hit the secret latch & it's a hand-cranked Uzi

Well that is a color of a Different Horse Indeed. The Mossad is a Branch  of an Israeli Intelligence Agency.

Donnyboat

Well never any intelligence here, thanks every one, I will send some pic, maybe with a match box next to it, to give some idea of size.
      i have it back together, still know idea of the model, It looks better than it was, originally there was a few gaps in the frame before I attacked it, so some one had, had ago at it before, the problem I had with it, was the the eccentric jack was turning sideways, when I tried to place it in gear, & when I tried to take it out of gear, the jack was still pressing on one side of the yoke, the jack was pivoting the wrong way, turnt out I had the eccentric spring in the wrong hole, it is hard to explane till I send the pics, cheers Don, & thanks.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

Here are some pix Don sent .
Neat Guts in it !
MASAO
NEVER HEARD OF IT STILL .....lol

I Gogled it and it shows some Fly Reels under that name ????

Wompus Cat

Robert Janssen

Yes, a reel from the very early days of what is now Omoto. Neat.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

Thanks everyone for all your help & concerns, & thank you Billy for placing the pictures here, Now if we look @ the fift photo down, thats how it looked when I started working on it, Take note were the eccentric spring is, now after I cleaned it & lubing, check the third pic, but when I tried to move it in & out of gear, the eccentric jack would turn to one side, then part of the eccentric jack was still pressing down on the eccentric yoke, so it was staying in free spool, take note were the screw on the eccentric that holds the eccentric jack the the eccentric, well I was placing the eccentric spring on the bottom of that hole, in that position the eccentric was turning the wrong way, but when I place the spring in the correct position, the jack was turning the operate way, being the correct way, although the eccentric spring is still not the same way as it was when I started, summery, the cogs, that the dog engages into, is quite narrow as is the dog, so not to sure if the dog would not slide of with plenty of pressure on it, although there is plenty of drag pressure, the reel is about 4.3 to 1 ratio, & you can slide the handle along, to make a larger turning for heavier fishing, I hope this can help someone some time, the line level works quite good, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Cor

I have never seen or heard of this name.
When I looked at it the first time I thought it has a distinct look of an Abbu Garcia?
Cornelis

Donnyboat

Thanks Cor, if you have a look back through the pictures, the main gear is quite thick with plenty of teeth still there  the pinion looks good to, only two screws either side of the foot, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

???  Could it be the clutch lever on the wrong flat .       ?   2 flats or 4 flats
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

Thanks Joe, I tried all of that, this setting now is  the best, it keeps the eccentric jack straight, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat