Cardinal 7: Spanking New?

Started by Paul Roberts, September 25, 2021, 10:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Recently picked up a Cardinal 7 on ebay. It was well-used but in VG functioning condition. Cosmetically not bad, but not great either. AOK, it will be put back to work fishing.

While the reel was still in the mail, I found another one in an antique store. It had line on it but shows no signs of use. It looks essentially new outside and in, with one layer of translucent brown grease. I may have been the first to put a screwdriver to it.

Gfish

Nice! An antique store, great find!
Try not'n put too much line-wind-pressure on the plastic spool(it is plastic, right?). Also the oscillating arm attachment to the spool shaft is non-metal(nylon?) and can break/crack under conditions of some kinda high stress—don't know exactly how.
I have a nice 6 I traded for, from Hardyboy(Todd), and it has those same parts, so far, so good. Lately I've been dropping 2oz., 50 - 200 ft. down, but haven't pulled-up more than about 3 lbs. of fish.
Really love the design features on these, especially the nice tight tolerances, like the side-plate fit.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

The 6's & 7's have metal spools, Greg —

The 3's & 4's are plastic — unless after-market upgraded aluminum spools.

That is a great looking, unused "7", Paul.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

You did good, Paul! Nice reels! Those nylon blocks on the oscillation arm/connecting link can become brittle with age, especially if someone use crappy oil like WD 40. You can find replacements but they're kind of expensive. One guy used to make aluminum replacement blocks. Haven't seen any listef for awhile. There is also an aftermarket oscillation arm/connecting link with a metal block already attached. I haven't seen any of those around lately, either, or I would have snatched them up.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Paul Roberts

I'll be watching those nylon oscillation blocks. Hey, Greg, have you noticed any gear binding in your 6 when reeling up 2oz of weight and a 3lb fish? Can it winch or must you pump? Curious.

Gfish

Mostly winch. No binding. It's my Sabiki—bait catching rig.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Paul Roberts

Catching Nemo

The metal replacement oscillation blocks are available from eBay thru a UK seller: spike-nigel