Trout Fishing-Helen,GA.

Started by jgp12000, September 30, 2021, 02:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

Next week I am headed to Helen,GA for a few days getaway maybe find some old reels in the antique stores. I have never fly fished,but always have an ultra light with a telescopic rod in every vehicle as well as a small array of tackle in a Plano box. I was just curious what's your goto for trout? I have salmon eggs, trout magnets, and some pheasant tail flies? I may just cast out with a  bobber stop/slip cork and retrieve it slow or let it sit. Any suggestions?

philaroman

sometimes you want a fast presentation
get some little Panther Martins, or similar

thorhammer

Panthers and rooster tails- check local regs about treble hooks tho.

Mjg378

We go trout fishing in Arkansas.    My boys, when they were younger, just wanted to catch trout.    What worked best for us by far was live red worms.  Did not matter if under a cork or Carolina rig.   As they grew we really liked the trout magnet system on a light spinning rod. Now that they're older (and way taller than me)  both have turned into fly fishing snobs😉! Fly fishing took a little practice.  Really helped that we have a good friend that's a fly fishing nut for some guidance.  
Have fun.  
Mike G

Gfish

For fly/bobber casting, some classic attractor patterns: dry fly—Royal Coachman; this time of year—a grasshopper imitation like the Madam X; sub-surface—them Pheasent Tails you mentioned, a good ol' Maribou hair leech fly; some kinda nymph, weighted to bounce along the bottom. If the trout are "educated" the bobber might shy 'em away, so, a looooong leader.
Will this be Lake or stream fishing?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jgp12000

Fly fishing looks fun, my mom got me a fly fishing combo at goodwill  still in the blister pack for $3.50.My fishing buddie just reminded me he used canned corn in the mountains, bream like it too.

jgp12000

Chattahoochee river most likely unless i sneak into a hatchery.... ;D

handi2

I don't know anything about freshwater fishing but my wife loves Helen Georgia.

We are looking into buying cabin in that area.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jgp12000

It's been awhile for us we normally go to Pigeon Forge for mountain trips our honeymoon spot but Helen is closer.

DON3099

When using a lure my go to is Panther Martin gold spinner black body with yellow dots sizes 1 -5. Love Trout Magnets (white, yellow, and black&green) I also use slayer (fake crawfish) trick is to retrieve very slow with just a little twitch of the rod tip (make it look like it's jumping. Check out Trout magnet.com. Gulp alive worms on a trout magnet jig applied like a trout magnet body, 2" worm like a garden worm. I get them at the store so I see there are the 2" one's. Finally the original CP swing.
While I see guy's catch with corn, they chum with it >:(. The theory is they can't pass it and over eat it and die.
All done with ultralight gear.
Good luck, tight lines!

thrasher

Never chummed with corn but we did catch em with canned corn in the Blue ridge mountains as a kid. My biggest rainbow was caught on a piece of marshmallow.

philaroman

Quote from: DON3099 on October 01, 2021, 10:57:09 AM
While I see guy's catch with corn, they chum with it >:(. The theory is they can't pass it and over eat it and die.

subUrban Myth...  nothin' but corn for a month (tank/controlled)
and they gained 20% less weight than stockies w/ balanced diet
no death; no exploded bellies; no popcorn shooting out of cloaca :o

DRY feed/field/deer corn, grains, legumes, etc. CAN explode fish bellies
(or, at least, damage internal organs), when they absorb moisture & swell, inside
anything canned or reconstituted is no problem

if your State allows chumming & some idiot dumps 2 big cans into a small stream,
that's littering & still illegal

Gfish

Tie a corn fly imitation😜? I have tried to tie snail imitations. In one lake I fished, the critters would form a gas bubble, float to the surface and oftentimes get nailed by big trout. I assume it was for migration purposes.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!