Tucunaré!

Started by nelz, September 27, 2021, 09:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Here's another Florida fish that's a blast to catch; the Tucunaré, aka Peacock Bass. I prefer its Amazonian name "Tucunaré" the best. Got this one today in a local pond.  ;D

On a sidenote, I observed something very odd as I was fighting this fish, there was a Snakehead shadowing the Peacock the entire time. These two species could not look any more different, yet there they were together, buddy-buddy. FYI, these are both invasive species, but the Snakeheads are not welcome, whereas the Peacocks have become accepted as a favorite resident by fishermen.

Anyway, back she went, clean release. Avoided the skunk today!

Hardy Boy

Cool ! Cheaper than catching them in the Amazon also.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

PacRat

Those peacocks are a real blast. I had the good fortune to fish for them in Guri Reservoir in Venezuela. They can be real beasts and are abolutely explosive when they are in the territorial mode.

steelfish

beautiful fish Nelz

what rod and line did you use?
The Baja Guy

nelz

Quote from: steelfish on September 28, 2021, 12:09:17 AMbeautiful fish Nelz
what rod and line did you use?

Thanks Alex. Used a Cadence reel on a Saint Croix Triumph X rod.
Here's another Tucunaré and a peek at the rig:

nelz

Btw, I've started replacing those nasty treble hooks on plugs when catch/release fishing. I was not happy seeing the excessive injury to the fish done by double trebles. I'm using these single type hooks now, these are by Owner. Saves fingers too!

Brewcrafter

Nelz - Cool looking fish; not something that we have out here on the left coast to my knowledge.  Kudos on switching out your hooks - it does make C&R easier.  As far as the snakehead, is it possible it was following your bass with the intention of trying to poach it?  Much in the way that in the salt we can lose a fish to the "taxman" (sharks, or sea lions)? - john

Benni3

Thats a rush and peacock bass are just fun to catch,,,,,,,, ;D

nelz

Quote from: Brewcrafter on September 28, 2021, 03:42:14 AMAs far as the snakehead, is it possible it was following your bass with the intention of trying to poach it?  Much in the way that in the salt we can lose a fish to the "taxman" (sharks, or sea lions)? - john

No, can't imagine that, they were about the same size. I've also seen Largemouth and Peacock bass and snook all school together in these waters, but they all are similar types, whereas the snakehead is a totally different animal. (Yep, snook (and tarpon too) in fresh water.)  Maybe it was trying to snatch the plug from its mouth?

Benni3

Quote from: nelz on September 28, 2021, 03:56:44 AM
Quote from: Brewcrafter on September 28, 2021, 03:42:14 AMAs far as the snakehead, is it possible it was following your bass with the intention of trying to poach it?  Much in the way that in the salt we can lose a fish to the "taxman" (sharks, or sea lions)? - john

No, can't imagine that, they were about the same size. I've also seen Largemouth and Peacock bass and snook all school together in these waters, but they all are similar types, whereas the snakehead is a totally different animal. (Yep, snook (and tarpon too) in fresh water.)  Maybe it was trying to snatch the plug from its mouth?
The guide told me it was a trash fish,,,,, :-\ but i like catching a jaguar fish it was the highlight fish of the trip for me,,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Really nice peacock Nelz.  

You might decide you like the snaleheads once you get used to them.  They smash a gaudy top-water plug, fight well and taste great.  The Asians raise them in ponds for sportfishing release and to grow on as food fish.  Snakeheads are accustomed to being at the top of the food chain and can help keep other invasives like small ciclids from over-populating.

nelz

Quote from: oc1 on September 28, 2021, 05:38:27 AMYou might decide you like the snaleheads once you get used to them.  They smash a gaudy top-water plug, fight well and taste great.

I'll let you know if I ever manage to catch one! ;D Believe me I've tried. The topography of this lake makes catching them very difficult with lures. Live bait would work, but I only use lures in fresh water. Yes, I've heard they taste great, but I won't eat anything out of those waters, too many pesticides and septic tanks around the area. There's some big ones in there though!

philaroman

does FL have same snakeheads (Northern -- Channa argus), as other US invasions?
big mamas guard their brood (Spring?) in tight groups like tadpoles or mini bait-ball, on surface
cast at that & they will hit lures out of sheer aggression, regardless of intent to eat

nelz

Per "bassonline.com" : "There are two species of snakehead fish in Florida, the northern snakehead and the bullseye snakehead."

nelz

This latest cold-front really fired up the peacocks! After the worst of the cold passed, they woke up and really went on the hunt.

So surprisingly, this all started I was getting skunked and bringing in my lure in hurry to go home, when BAM! It was non-stop action from then on, all on very fast retrieves. I had a blast!

Most were smallish, but these two big boys were photo-worthy, about 5lbs: