Daiwa BG2500 bent handle attachment?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 29, 2021, 02:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

The gear shaft is one piece and hollow  ....   

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

I cant say for sure that it hasn't always been like this. With the ball knob that I installed on day one, I may not have noticed it. Now that I'm aware i definitely feel it.

I'm just gonna order a new kit, and just be grumpy about it.

The daiwa SS line is officially superior to the BG product line in my opinion.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Have you called Daiwa yet?

Generally, they have been very good — even when an apparent issue is not their fault.

They may just step up and take care of the issue.

Never know until you ask.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: foakes on September 30, 2021, 02:42:54 PM
Have you called Daiwa yet?

Generally, they have been very good — even when an apparent issue is not their fault.

They may just step up and take care of the issue.

Never know until you ask.

Best, Fred
I sent them pics, im waiting to hear back. Theres a daiwa warranty center here in Tampa a few miles from my office. I may just contact them and bring it in person, skip the whole shipping aspect. And maybe they even have the part in stock if it's not a warranty thing.

But if they do straighten this out (hey its a pun!) @ no cost, they will have fully redeemed themselves in my eyes.

JasonGotaProblem

Ok so I'm likely just buying the part from the local daiwa service rep in Tampa. I feel like this should be a warranty covered issue but to claim that i need to find proof of purchase which is unlikely. I didn't ask the rep if the part is the same price as daiwa quoted it'll be about the price of the flat rate box I'd be sending my reel in if i were to seek the warranty. Also no 3 week + shipping delay to get my reel back. And I get to do it myself.

Midway Tommy

After watching that video  ::buy a post 1990 Asian made spinning reel.  :-X) it just reinforced why I will never, in my lifetime, buy a post 1990 Asian made spinning reel, no matter what the brand.  :-X
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Midway Tommy on September 30, 2021, 11:34:19 PM
After watching that video  ::buy a post 1990 Asian made spinning reel.  :-X) it just reinforced why I will never, in my lifetime, buy a post 1990 Asian made spinning reel, no matter what the brand.  :-X
Didn't watch the video yet. But there's definitely benefits to the classics, and there's good parts about modern stuff too. If I have to trade a bit of reliability for a bit more comfort of use, its a reasonable consideration. If my life or livelihood depended on the continued daily operation of this as my only piece of tackle I might feel differently. And in theory this thing is still fishable bent, its just not likely a good long term strategy. But I'll admit I like this reel less now than I did a week ago.

But as it stands in under a half hour I went and picked up the part for under $20.

The nice lady at the shop said that the BG line does not respond well to aftermarket knobs, and people tend to see their gears get shredded ahead of schedule. Well, i did an aftermarket knob within a few days of getting this reel. Related? Possibly. But this still seems more like blunt force trauma than overuse.

But the shop apparently also sells blanks. So they may see more of me.

JasonGotaProblem

I feel like I can work on my SS700 in my sleep, but for some reason that BG was very difficult for me. I lost the bearing retainer spring when it shot off like a rocket. So that set me back a few days. Then I got it all back together and it felt too tight. So I opened it up didnt see a problem, put it back together, and now it feels great. So I guess problem solved?