Jigmaster 500 drag system enhancement choices

Started by igrek2000, September 30, 2021, 09:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

igrek2000

I got Penn Jigmaster 500 and see at least 2 ways for budget drag system enhancement:

1)   Use the #6-113 (10.50 x 20.45 x 1.13) drag washer to sub for the 4-60 hard fiber washer, as noted in some of the AlanTani.com customizations. Because the #6-113 drag washer under the gear is thicker than the stock fiber washer (key #4), usually the tension spring (key #8) can be removed
2)   Adding a Penn 60 (#6-60 - 10.61 x 20.44 x 0.92) washer to the stack. This takes the slack out of the drag star adjustment while adding more sensitivity to the drag setting making for smoother operation and adjustment ( )

Which one? Pros and cons?

Old washers look good, but I ordered Cabric 1.0mm Carbon Plate for custom made washers (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083XMZWFF) Not sure is it a real carbontex?
Ordered Cal's Carbontex Tan Drag Washer and Reel Grease 1oz. Looks like it is an approved by community grease for drag washers.

alantani

use the drag washer from smoothdrag.com.  the #6-113 is too thick and the #6-60 will compress and possibly shred over time.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dusdau

Quote from: alantani on September 30, 2021, 10:48:17 PM
use the drag washer from smoothdrag.com.  the #6-113 is too thick and the #6-60 will compress and possibly shred over time.   :-\

Alan,

I have the 6-113 on the way and the plan was to do that upgradeoutline on mysticparts.com. Based on this quote, is there a better route now, and which washer at smoothdrag.com are you referring to? Just picked up an old 500 in pretty good shape, and was looking at both upgrades the original poster mentioned.

Thank you.

alantani

i'm not sure of the part numbers that smoothdrag uses, but start with the carbontex drag washer that goes under the main gear of the jigmaster.  after that, if smoothdrag has an upgrade 5-stack kit for the old black side plate 4/0 senator 113, then use can use that or use five of the penn #6-60's.  you will also need enough metal washers to complete the set. 

of note, this is the one reel that benefits most from a stainless steel jigmaster gear sleeve. i don't sell them anymore, but several here do.  good luck!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!