Ultrasonic cleaning reels?

Started by Irishdevil0311, October 06, 2021, 02:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

I use the US cleaner with solvents in a glass jar on bearings.

One of the keys is to make sure the bearings are not ceramic — they are steel.

Make sure there are no plastic, nylon, or rubber seals.

And I remove the shields.

If the shields can be reinstalled after removing — that is done.

If the shields are ruined when removing — the shields are not used — just tossed in the trash.  They are not necessary most of the time — if good grease is used such as Penn Blue or Yamaha Marine.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn

The chemical we are using is stronger than the average off the shelf cleaner, thus the reason we don't add bearings to our ultrasonic tank. 

tony

foakes

I understand that, Tony —

Makes sense.

For me, not for everyone else —

I use straight Lacquer Thinner in an open small jar in the US reservoir.  No heat.  8 minutes generally.  Bearings, all bare metal (except pot metal alloys are a no-no), never any painted, plastic, rubber, or anodized parts — only steel, SS,  copper, bronze, brass, aluminum, and chrome plated.

Nothing I have found is as thorough, effective, and quick as this method.

Most folks don't like Lacquer Thinner — but I have used it all my life for many types of tool clean up, painting, finishing, thinning, and gunk removal.

I use protection, am careful, and am experienced with this method.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Irishdevil0311

What khz and watts am I looking for in a machine? I see mostly 40 and 50 khz machines. Do I want or need more?

foakes

In a SS unit —- with a SS reservoir —- buy as much power (watts) as you feel comfortable affording.

It makes all the difference.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.