sealine SL-X50SHA help

Started by 1low5, July 11, 2012, 10:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1low5

im new to this site and it looks like the best site for help with any reel... i wanted to ask if any body knows if i can do anything to my reel it is a sealine SL-X50SHA so it will have more torque its a great reel and cast great also fast retrieve but the only thing is that it is not as strong as i would like for it to be any help will be appreciated thanks

alantani

you can change out the drags to greased carbon fiber and put a larger handle grip on it.  that's really about all. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

That is a 6.1:1,  "Ultra High Speed"..
With higher gears you give up torque..

Only suggestion I can give is to try and find a longer handle (or have one made) & or upgrade to larger handle Grip on...  
Longer handle arm will increase the torque and larger handle grip will make it feel easier..

Should have two mounting holes in it, Try the second one for longer reach/more torque...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

1low5

Ok thanks... Might be off topic but does this apply to all hi speed reels

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: 1low5 on July 13, 2012, 03:11:21 PM
Ok thanks... Might be off topic but does this apply to all hi speed reels

Yes. 
Like your car in high gear, has no power or torque, have to down shift to climb a hill "torque"...
Lower gear or bigger motor (handle length = leverage).....

Adding handle shaft length is the only fix I know of...
Or lower gear set....   If available even..
or working out!!!   lol
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

1low5

tacoma09

What type of drags are in these reels?

Ron Jones

The other fix is a 2 speed. Really thought the Boss would have jumped on that.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Quote from: tacoma09 on April 18, 2023, 01:26:55 AMWhat type of drags are in these reels?
I'm sorry, I don't recall.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Donnyboat

Thems high speed reels generally have a very small pinion, so when you hook a fish, you pull with the rod, then wind on the way down, that take a lot of pressure away from the reel, it will last much longer that way, good luck, & welcome to the forum, from Sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Cor

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 19, 2023, 12:26:01 AM
Quote from: tacoma09 on April 18, 2023, 01:26:55 AMWhat type of drags are in these reels?
I'm sorry, I don't recall.
Stock they come with some soft fiber material. Greased or dry they work but not very smooth.   I always upgraded them to Smoothdrag "Smoothies"  which worked very well for my application but don't seem to be too popular.
Cornelis

sciaenops

I have 2 x50s. Both came stock w/thin felt or paper washers (5 in gear) & 1 delrin under gear.

I replaced w/greased carbontex to smooth out the drag.

They also came with a 2-position counterbalanced handle. If yours is similar & you want more torque, try the slot furthest from knob.

Simple, tough reels w/nice strong drag & very respectable free spool.