Accurate valiant 300 preset knob

Started by Swami805, October 07, 2021, 09:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Picked up this valiant 300 in a trade and used it on my last couple trips for rockfish SPJ. At random times I'd push the lever to strike and the preset knob had backed off to almost zero drag. Also the preset knob moves out towards the handle when moved from free spool to strike quite a bit, never had a lever drag do that before. Is it supposed to do that?
I emailed accurate and they want me to send it in, hoping it's something easy to save $80. The reel was new when I got it but I'm not the original owner
Anyone know what I should look for
Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

The spool is pulled into the drag which is why the preset rises when you advance the lever.  Most levers push the drag into the spool.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

Maybe We Can Fix It

In regard to the drag loosening during use...It is likely the cam bearing has become frozen or intermittently so. When drag is applied the pressure on the spool shaft rests on the inner race of the cam bearing, the outer race rests within the cam, if the bearing freezes and the inner race cannot rotate it then applies that friction to the outer race and subsequently the cam housing (preset knob); as you rotate the lever to strike the pressure applied to a frozen bearing can cause the cam to rotate counter-clockwise as the lever is moved clockwise to strike, reducing drag preset pressure.  (Opposite mental diagram on a left hand reel.)

Hope this helps if you are still having issues and do not wish to send it in to Accurate.

-Scott
"Maybe We Can Fix It" Reel Repair
Scott Rodriguez
Owner/Operator
Factory Trained Technician

maybewecanfixit@gmail.com

Instagram: @maybewecanfixit_reelrepair

Website Coming Soon!!

alantani

there is a possibility that the o-ring for the preset knob is too loose.  check to see if it turns freely when the lever is in free.  if that's the case, you should be able to fix it by replacing the o-ring.  you'll need a Danco #35, part number 96749.  your local hardware store should have it.  it's an o-ring that is commonly used in plumbing. 

with the early accurates, the o-ring was too loose and just bumping the preset knob would move it and change the drag.  with the larger o-ring, it's REALLY tight.  it will be difficult to line it up and get the threads started and will take some muscle to even turn the preset knob, but at least this way a light puff of wind will not change your drag setting. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-35-O-Ring-10-Pack-96749/100277539
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on October 07, 2021, 09:51:33 PM
Picked up this valiant 300 in a trade and used it on my last couple trips for rockfish SPJ.

amigo, you're getting serious on the SPJ thing!

Valiant is a jewel of a reel, tiny, light and powerful for its size.
The Baja Guy

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: steelfish on November 05, 2021, 05:44:47 PM
Quote from: Swami805 on October 07, 2021, 09:51:33 PM
Picked up this valiant 300 in a trade and used it on my last couple trips for rockfish SPJ.

amigo, you're getting serious on the SPJ thing!

Valiant is a jewel of a reel, tiny, light and powerful for its size.

It is by far the best reel for SPJ made by a USA mfg, aside from their 500n. The size, weight, power, even more importantly the inches per crank make it a desired item over in Japan where SPJ originated.
They both work extremely well with the extra long jigging arm that's available.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

day0ne

It's only $40 for service and well worth it.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Swami805

Very nice reel, no question.  The guy I traded with used it once and didn't like it because it doesn't have a clicker, I know right?  Almost a new reel
Anyway I've been a few more time rock fishing but ended up using a Calcutta 300D and a Trinidad 10A since we were fishing less than 200'. Both are filled with 20lb braid for 80gr. Jigs
SPJ is way more fun than bait and wait, I've only been bringing jigs with me lately, going to try and get a few more trips in before it closes