Penn 113n US Senator Drag Question

Started by Whino83, October 08, 2021, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whino83

I brought the reel into work and thought I'd try one more thing before I ground one of the washers. I tore the reel down and changed the drag washer arrangement. The owners manual showed a heavy, medium heavy, medium light, and light settings. It was set up heavy from the factory. I changed it to medium heavy. While I had it apart I greased the drag washers with Cal's and reassembled the reel. The low end drag did what I wanted it to and it backed off a hair. It's not quite where I want it but it's so close that I can live with it and be happy.

RowdyW

I have two of these reels, a Baja hn & a 113n and I don't like that I can't back the drag off completely either. One of the things that I have done is remove the two coned washers () above the outer bearing & replaced them with another spacer sleeve. Now I can back the drag star off completely . But there is still some drag because the drag stack is to tall. When the bridge with the drag stack is screwed down into the plate the coned washer on top of the drag stack is preloaded against the right plate causing a drag on the spool when the reel is in gear. I'm going to try to lower the drag stack by replacing the top thick metal washer with a thinner one like in the rest of the stack. As some of you might have read in another post there was a problem with getting the thin washers at a reasonable price & now, not next year. The supply problem and possibly the pricing has been resolved. By lowering the drag stack height I hope to get 0 drag while still maintaining the original max drag. I won't quit till I "git er done".       Rudy

RowdyW

Now to finish up what I started with the Baja & US 113 reels. I got the thinner metal drag washers. I removed the top thick metal washer & installed two of the thin washers. That reduced the drag stack height by .014" which left a very, very light preload on the side plate. Now the drag on the spool when in gear with the star backed of 100% & a barley touching preload on the drag stack, I am able to drop a weight while in gear & can regulate it with the star wheel. I don't know why Penn Engineering couldn't or want to do it. I feel like "I GOT ER DONE". If anybody has other ideas please let me know. The Baja & US 113's are great star drag reels that just need a little nudging in the right direction IMO.            Rudy

steelfish

Rowdy

I put a Delrin washer under the main gear and another at the top of the drag stack per Sal recommendation and as expected with the additional washer at the top the star cant be backed off completely, since I knew this was going to happen it didnt bothered me, heck I even like it because I can pull like from the reel with some tension when I want to put the reel and pass the line through the guides when preparing to fish with it  ;D ;D

any special reason why you need zero drag with the star backed off ?

I havent measured how much drag # is on my reel with the star backed off completely but Im sure any weight bigger than 6oz will pull line easily
The Baja Guy