Gear oil

Started by tincanary, October 09, 2021, 02:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

I started using the Super Lube ISO 220 (90W?) gear oil in frame and support bearings earlier this year and have been really pleased with the results.  I dispense the oil from a 14ga blunt tip needle into bearings with the shields removed, then give them a gentle spin to distribute it.  It works really well and the high viscosity ensures most of it stays in place, reels feel smooth without feeling overly free.  On reels with a disengaging level wind, I use it on the worm shaft and pinion bearings, then a little on the sliding parts in the clutch assembly.  No way would I use it in spool bearings, but I really like the overall feel of the reel itself.  I've tried grease and other lower viscosity oils in the past, but the grease either tightened them up or the lower viscosity oil made them whirlybirds.  I might try a higher viscosity for poops and chuckles and see how I like it.  

tincanary

My love affair with the pancake syrup continues.  I did 2 of the same reel side by side, a pair of Daiwa Alphas CTs, both my own.  This is for science, or so I think anyway.  Alphas CT #1 had TSI321 applied to all bearings and the worm gear, #2 had TSI321 applied to the spool bearings only while the worm, driveshaft bearing, and pinion support bearings were all given the 90W differential fluid.  Reel #1 feels very airy, completely effortless and near zero inertia when turning the handle, but man is it noisy.  As the handle is turning, she is chugging away like a locomotive.  Reel #2 feels buttery smooth, but with a little noticeable inertia compared to reel one.  It's also much quieter, with the only noticeable noise being the meshing of the gears.  I can say I'm a fan of the gear oil through and through, for my own personal reels anyway.  With all of that said, maybe I should offer the option to my customers on how they want their reels to feel.  I may also start using it in spinning reels.  Easier to apply that grease and easier to clean up when service time rolls around again.

Here is what I've been using, applied with a 14g blunt tip needle.  https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-54200-Synthetic-Bottle/dp/B002KKZIR8/

JasonGotaProblem

I'm intrigued. I wanna hear the few months later update on how its performing.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

tincanary

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 30, 2021, 12:50:59 PM
I'm intrigued. I wanna hear the few months later update on how its performing.

I started out back in April with my Daiwa Millionaire CT and it's still going great.  It has been to places deep in the woods where mosquitoes get the size of pterodactyls and still works wonderfully.  I think I'm sold, just wanted to see a side by side comparison with the same reel so I got to work and got a good idea of how both perform.

philaroman

so, would that make it an "everywhere spinner oil"?  ;D
(aside from slathering surfaces for protection)

tincanary

Quote from: philaroman on October 30, 2021, 02:05:51 PM
so, would that make it an "everywhere spinner oil"?  ;D
(aside from slathering surfaces for protection)

Lol that might be the case.  I'm thinking I'll service my SS Tournament 700 and use it in the bearings and worm gear with a little PTFE on the gears and see how it goes.  Its rainy out my way so no fishing for me this weekend.

Cor

Some of my mates used 90 W gear oil in the main spool bearings with success to slow down the spool of 40/50 size reels.

I don't know how it performed as a corrosion and wear protector.    Some also used SAE 30 but those mates are no longer around (not because of the oil) ;D

PS   Those guys used to warm up the oil to get it thinner and in to the bearings easier!
Cornelis

jurelometer

Here is a article on  viscosity with a chart that maps ISO viscosity to crankcase (AKA motor oil) and gear oil viscosity.
https://www.thelubricantstore.com/understanding-the-viscosity-grade-chart

The 220 in the Superlube label is the ISO viscosity.  They make the same product in a variety of viscosities.  The 220 maps to 60/weight motor oil or  90 weight gear oil.  The problem with gear oil weight is that it  spans a pretty wide range of ISO viscosity.

This looks like a good product.  Safe for incidental food contact, recommended for gear use and submerged pumps, plus resists emulsification.  They also claim good oxidation resistance, which might be the most important but most overlooked feature in a reel lubricant.  Reels are not very demanding in terms of lubricant functional performance - the pressure * velocity combo numbers are are pretty low.  But reel lubricants do spend a lot of time sitting inside reels on the shelf, not well protected from the surrounding air.

For folks mixing greases with oils,  it might be worth considering something in  Superlube gear oil range as an alternative.

On sliding surfaces ( like a star drag yoke/concentric assembly) or to paint a corrosion proof coating on inner walls, grease would be a more effective  choice, but  maintenance intervals and fresh vs. salt use are also a factor.

Thanks for posting this TC.  You could have just bought  a funnel and a couple cases of one ounce plastic bottles and started up a TinCanary Finesse Reel Miracle Oil  business.  A bargain at 20 bucks a bottle.  :)

-J

tincanary

Quote from: jurelometer on October 30, 2021, 08:19:56 PM
Thanks for posting this TC.  You could have just bought  a funnel and a couple cases of one ounce plastic bottles and started up a TinCanary Finesse Reel Miracle Oil  business.  A bargain at 20 bucks a bottle.  :)

-J

You're welcome.  I learned about using gear oil from another reel repairman that I talk with on another forum.  He uses Mobil 1, but I wanted something non-toxic and stumbled upon the Super Lube.  Yeah, I could've been like every other reel oil manufacturer and talk it up with dubious claims with no data to back it up.  Most oils sold as reel oil have no data posted, just "we use this process and some super secret additives to make your reel spin better than it has ever spun!"  BS, I want to see the data.  I see a lot of that on the more enthusiast oriented forums.  All that magic oil they flock to has no published data, even digging deep into their websites I see nothing.  As a rule, I don't use any grease or oil with no published data or SDS.  The Super Lube is good and cheap thus far and seems to stick around a bit.  I haven't had to reapply any to the worm on my Millionaire I did 6 months ago.

handi2

I just serviced a few Penn International VSW reels and the bearings were a little noisy compared to the Tiagra's bearings that were silent using TSI. I think I'll go back and try the gear oil and see how it does.

Thanks for posting!

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Walleye Guy

tincanary, I'm intrigued by your gear oil selection because I know exactly what you mean about wanting to have a a buttery-smooth feel but not too effortless.  I have a few reels to go through this winter and I might try this.  I'm a few hours west of you so, as you know, it won't be long before we start seeing snow.

Dominick

Quote from: tincanary on October 30, 2021, 02:08:34 PM
Its rainy out my way so no fishing for me this weekend.

Hey, the fish don't mind getting wet.  Ask Benni.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.