265 Microlite Issue

Started by Balvar24, October 12, 2021, 02:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

I've got a Microlite that I use pretty regular and it has an odd issue.

Every once in a while, it spools line around the spool release rather than the spool itself.

It never fails, I'll start cranking away and seemingly, no line is being taken up.  Then, I'll look down and notice that in-fact a small amount of line has been taken up, just enough to wrap around the spool release button several times.  It will actually stand off the button about 1/4".

Anyone else ran into this?

PacRat

It should not do that. Is your line twisted? What type of line are you using?

Is your reel all original?

If you are able to post photos...post side-view photos of the spool fully retracted into the winding cup and a photo of the spool off the reel (front, back, and side). Also let us see the condition of your bail.

Is it making any unusual sounds?

Someone here will know what to do but we need to see it.

oldmanjoe

I would pay attention to the bail , is it slow some times ,instead of the usually snap back ?  Dirt or start of a weak spring .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

PacRat

I agree with Joe. I'm also assuming that when you say 'spool release' you're referring to the red drag knob in the center of the spool face? If so, your bail is likely not fully closing. Clean it real good and make certain that the bail wire isn't bent causing it to bind. I usually run the bail dry because oil will pick up a lot of crud. Your bail should be very snappy, if not, get a fresh bail spring. These little Quicks have a good positive snap when the bail is just right.

Midway Tommy

If it is wrapping line under the red drag knob I would check to make sure the knob isn't twisted away from the spool on one side. Also, allowing slack in your line could allow the line to slip under the drag knob when the spool is midway between all the way in & all the way out. All sorts of bad things can happen with spinners if there's too much slack line.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Milan S

It happens sometimes. No reason to worry, just pay more attention.

Wompus Cat

If the Spool Release knob you refer to is the Drag knob you have something missing or bent to allow line to get under it .
As was suggested some pix will certainly enlighten some remedy ideas.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

mo65

Quote from: Balvar24 on October 12, 2021, 02:51:03 AM
Anyone else ran into this?

Yes...my 265 does this on occasion too. I have always figured it is due to using braid on a reel never designed for braid. Matter of fact, I have several other vintage spinners spooled with braid that also do this. Mono has that "spring" to it...probably keeping it from collecting on the spool release knob like "limp" braid does. I'm considering putting mono back on my 265...because it is a really annoying issue.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Check the spool position and the line lay. If it dips down too low, and the line is piling-up a bit at the top, you might need to make an adjustment to raise it up.

Ok, I checked mine and moving the spool up a bit would involve adding another washer as a shim underneath the spool.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Balvar24

Sorry stepped away for a day.

It's spinning around the little spool release button.  Maybe it protrudes a bit too much?

All original, seems to be in tip top shape.

Bail looks good to me.  I'll look closer try to get pictures.

This reel has been spooled with 2lb mono (Trout Slayer Brand, on clearance for $2.50 for 330 yards!)

Balvar24

I finally got around to running this down somewhat.  Took the Microlite on our camping trip last week.  I had a 110 bail spring go on me with no spare, so I went back to the 265.  For good measure, I swapped the spools.

It would seem that the spool release button for the Microlite protrudes far enough to snag the line every once in a while and oooh boy, does it make a mess.  Now to see where the issue is with the button.  Maybe some spacers missing or someone's monkey'd with the drag stack?

foakes

The DQ Microlite 110 plastic spool will interchange with the older DQ 265 Microlite reels.

There is a slight difference in the spindles on the lower ratchet wheel —- but they switch just fine.

The issue may be a bad push-button on the spool spindle assembly that protrudes out too far.  Wouldn't likely be a spacer.

I could send you a new spindle, and also a new bail spring for your 110.

Is the line getting under the red drag knob, or?

I don't quite understand.  Maybe post a couple of photos.

Glad to help.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

When I reel, sometimes the line spools around the release button.  For every revolution of the reel handle, I pick up about 1/4" of line.

oldmanjoe

Are you getting the line around button ?   Maybe to much slack in the line when closing the bail ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Balvar24

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 09, 2022, 03:48:04 AMAre you getting the line around button ?   Maybe to much slack in the line when closing the bail ?

That be it.

The problem is I always end up just cranking away until I realize I'm not getting anywhere.  I've looked down and have had a 1/2" to 3/4" birds nest of monofilament.  Let me tell you, when it's wound that tight, memory sets in something fierce.

It only seems to happen with the old Microlite.  My old 308's, 110's, etc. seem somewhat immune.

Mr. Oakes, I may take you up on your offer.  I need to dig thru what spare parts I have first.  You've been terribly kind in the past to help me out.  It is appreciated.  I've got a couple of boys who I hope will get to enjoy your parts generosity thru these reels down the road as well.   They're still in grade school, so they haven't yet learned to appreciate the finer things like old metal fishing reels.