Gen 4 Epoxy

Started by Breadfan, October 12, 2021, 04:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breadfan

Folks, I tried Gen 4 epoxy and after doing a few rods with it, I can say it is the best epoxy I have ever used. It has about 30-40 min of working time depending on air temps and when either mixed quietly by hand or by machine (I've tried it both ways) it is 100% bubble free. There is no need to pull out the heat gun and in my eyes, there should have never been a need for this. I am by far doing my best epoxy work now and what used to be a nerve wracking final step is now, just another step. I lay down a thin coat, let it set up tact free (8 hours for me) trim any nubs, then lay down a thicker final coat and it is done. Zero bubbles! Good stuff.

oldmanjoe

:o  Come on , you know better .    Picture or it did not happen ....
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Breadfan

Quote from: oldmanjoe on October 12, 2021, 04:37:30 PM
:o  Come on , you know better .    Picture or it did not happen ....

I will post one tomorrow!

thorhammer

where does one find this magical unicorn sweat?

Breadfan

Quote from: thorhammer on October 12, 2021, 05:03:05 PM
where does one find this magical unicorn sweat?

Mudhole has it. I should have called it generation 4, I thought it was Gen 4, but you get it.

https://mudhole.com/products/generation-4-high-build-finish

jurelometer

Interesting!  Thanks for sharing.

A useful test if you feel like it:  get a flat (level)  white object that is reasonably UV resistant (scrap of starboard, painted wood, whatever), put a drop of the catalylized new stuff next to a drop of a reference (e.g., flex coat).  Leave it someplace where it gets full sun all day.  In a few weeks to a few months ( could take longer in the winter if you are up north) you should probably see a bit of yellowing at probably different levels between products, and be able to learn something about the relative UV resistance.  I do this for testing clear resins for lure making. Using a flexible substrate and running a bead instead of a dab might also give you some evidence on resistance to cracking over time.

For the stuff to be better it has to be durable as well as easier to apply..  Tackle manufactures rarely share much of the useful data.

-J

steelfish

i've heard a lot of good things about this Gen4 epoxy.

it relatively new on the marked compared to the rest of well-known epoxy brands, I was so tempted to try it out but I resisted the urge after a bit of research, I didnt found anything wrong about it just the normal complaints as it happened with every other epoxy brand, some work better in hot climates and some work better in cold climates or humid climates, so you have to find the one or two that works better for your climate, every single one have its own learning curve, pot working time is longer on this one compared to others, the makers are the same or worked (dont recall) on Threadmaster epoxy factory so, they just come with a new name, almost same formula but with some improvements and this one also works better in certain climates.
for the amount of work I do, I decided to stay with Diamond II by VoodooRods which have gave me great results from few years but I might get a small bottle of Gen4 for testing it.
The Baja Guy

Swami805

I been using diamond II from voodoo for quite awhile, good stuff. I tried Gen4 and went back to D II. Nothing wrong with Gen4 at all just for me I like D II a little better, maybe I'm just used to it. Also hard to beat the customer service from voodoo, super nice people too. Fastest shipping in the business.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Quote from: Swami805 on October 12, 2021, 10:31:14 PM
I been using diamond II from voodoo for quite awhile, good stuff. I tried Gen4 and went back to D II. Nothing wrong with Gen4 at all just for me I like D II a little better, maybe I'm just used to it. Also hard to beat the customer service from voodoo, super nice people too. Fastest shipping in the business.

I'd give the Gen 4 a shot- but agree with Sheridan, all points, if a person was to be wondering about VooDoo and Diamonf II. Jon Vadney himself turned me onto them.

Breadfan

Quote from: steelfish on October 12, 2021, 08:57:58 PM
i've heard a lot of good things about this Gen4 epoxy.

it relatively new on the marked compared to the rest of well-known epoxy brands, I was so tempted to try it out but I resisted the urge after a bit of research, I didnt found anything wrong about it just the normal complaints as it happened with every other epoxy brand, some work better in hot climates and some work better in cold climates or humid climates, so you have to find the one or two that works better for your climate, every single one have its own learning curve, pot working time is longer on this one compared to others, the makers are the same or worked (dont recall) on Threadmaster epoxy factory so, they just come with a new name, almost same formula but with some improvements and this one also works better in certain climates.
for the amount of work I do, I decided to stay with Diamond II by VoodooRods which have gave me great results from few years but I might get a small bottle of Gen4 for testing it.

It's pretty humid where I live and I was using Flexcoat but my set times where getting shorter as the summer came, so that really made me search for something else. I've heard a lot of good things about Voodoo so its good to hear more about them. Mental notes.

Breadfan

Quote from: jurelometer on October 12, 2021, 07:46:54 PM
Interesting!  Thanks for sharing.

A useful test if you feel like it:  get a flat (level)  white object that is reasonably UV resistant (scrap of starboard, painted wood, whatever), put a drop of the catalylized new stuff next to a drop of a reference (e.g., flex coat).  Leave it someplace where it gets full sun all day.  In a few weeks to a few months ( could take longer in the winter if you are up north) you should probably see a bit of yellowing at probably different levels between products, and be able to learn something about the relative UV resistance.  I do this for testing clear resins for lure making. Using a flexible substrate and running a bead instead of a dab might also give you some evidence on resistance to cracking over time.

For the stuff to be better it has to be durable as well as easier to apply..  Tackle manufactures rarely share much of the useful data.

-J

I have a couple that I can put it with, it would be nice to know.