My 13 Most Used Tools Cost Very Little

Started by foakes, October 15, 2021, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Like a lot of you — I have literally tons of tools.

For reels, my little upstairs shop is stocked with everything I need — no duplicates or slackers.  They are either useful on a regular basis — or they leave the shop.

Here are possibly my most useful tools — and they cost very little.

An old Office Pen knife that has broken apart 10,000 drag stacks with a hammer.

Alan Tani Penn wrench.

Micro Pick.

Snap-On Mini Needle-nose pliers.

Craftsman ignition pliers.

Long shank off-set tweezers.

Old red gunsmith screwdriver that refuses to die.

Snake eye driver for Mitchell & Cardinal nuts.

Homemade Penn wrench — also used to fasten and unfasten bail screws on spinners.

Gunsmith screwdriver set.

Irwin offset long-nose vise grip pliers.

1/4" complete socket set in Standard & Metric.

Craftsman Nut Drivers in Standard & Metric.

Hardwood blocks for removing and reinstalling pins in handle and gear assemblies.

There are likely many others — and each of us has our favorites or preferences.  

These are all used nearly every day I am working on reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Dont forget the scratch all that we both use. Also non magnetic tweezers.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oldmanjoe

??? ??? ???      What about the one that sits on your shoulders
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Quote from: handi2 on October 15, 2021, 09:33:24 PM
Dont forget the scratch all that we both use. Also non magnetic tweezers.

You are right, Keith!

All of my tweezers are non-magnetic.

And I referred to the scratch-awl as a micro pick.  But you are correct.  The scratch-awl is of very high quality — much better than a pick — and costs surprisingly little.  And I can't wear one out.  For lining up holes in sideplates or double blind or deep holes — it is used daily.

One thing I forgot that you recommended to me — was an old fashioned small Craftsman screwdriver with a spring-loaded screw holder — it is worth its weight in gold.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Love your set up Fred! You guys will probably wonder why...but one of my most used tools is this X-ACTO knife. And oddly...it's not used for cutting much. It has a decade old blade that is dull and rounded. It is great at scraping and prying. It pops Penn chrome rings off very well. Just slip it into the gap between the plate and the ring and twist a bit. I have a different one that always has a fresh blade for cutting. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

fantastic Idea Fred

thanks for showing it
The Baja Guy