Removing heavy duty reel seat from Aftco butt

Started by UKChris1, October 19, 2021, 01:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris1

I have an older Aftco aluminium bent butt fitted with a Varmac RS5H reel seat - the heavy-duty, chromed brass one. The hood of the Varmac fitting is split! Quite how that could happen is beyond me, but there we are (I bought it like that, for an appropriately low cost).

I'd like to remove the reel seat without damaging the Aftco butt as I have another reel seat with which to replace the split one. There is a black plastic layer between the Varmac fitting and the Aftco butt that was originally added to reduce corrosion. It is all epoxied in place.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of applying heat to break down the epoxy and it might also melt the black plastic, using either a heat gun or a gas blowlamp but I am worried lest I melt the aluminium of the Aftco butt.

Has anyone tried this and did it work? What are the precautions/difficulties, or was it an 'easy' job?

Thanks everyone.
Chris

thorhammer

Haven't done that specifically, but I've removed many reel seats from blanks. I don't think there is a good way in your situation without heat. Were me, I'd use a propane torch and try to pay attention to when the plastic  / epoxy starts to melt. Should have a much lower MP than aluminum. Since the Varmac is shot, I'd get it in a vise if possible while doing this, and turn the butt with strap wrench when the epoxy melts to break it free from the seat. (pipe wrench if you must, but wrap the butt to prevent scratch).

If it comes to it, I would make VERY CAREFUL length-wise cuts down the Varmac with a Dremel cutting wheel, taking care not to get into the butt. It will help you have the plastic bushing / arbor in there. It would come off easier in pieces with heat than fighting the suction of pulling the whole seat off. Let us know how it goes.

John

Jeri

I would be tempted to start with a commercial type heat gun, rather than something like propane. As suggested lock part of the butt in a vice, and then using something like pipe pliers to twist the Varmac fitting, once heated. Unlikely to damage the aluminium, as the adhesive/epoxy will melt before that. Heat and a twisting motion should do it.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Ron Jones

I agree with the heat gun if available, and that you are almost certainly going to need heat. Just keep the heat moving in order to reduce the risk of discoloration.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jurelometer

Unless the epoxy is a special heat resistant variety(unlikely) it will soften at about 200F.

The plastic is probably nylon, which is a thermoforming plastic ( it can be remelted  after being cast - not true of all types of plastics).  Nylon   is mid to high temp melting plastic.  It will start getting pretty soft around 300F.

Aluminum melts at  around  1200F. So unless you go crazy with a torch, this is th least of your worries.

What you do need to consider are toxic fumes from overheating the stuff.  Some plastics, like PVC and ABS are pretty nasty if heated too far.  I wouldn't be surprised if breathing vaporized cured epoxy is not the ticket to long term lung health, either.  

Less is more.  Go slow spread the heat evenly. As others have suggested, a heat gun is a better tool for the job than a torch,  Better heat control, lower settings, spread over a wider area.  Consider doing this outdoors, or at least in a well ventilated spot, if you don't plan to use a respirator with an organic vapor cartridge.  Especially if you are taking a torch to it.

I have used a heat gun set at 400 or so to detach  aluminum epoxied parts.  Just took a minute or two.

-J

UKChris1

Thank you all - that is very helpful.

Yes, I'll certainly be doing this outdoors, not least to minimise the risk of burning the house down or being berated for stinking up the kitchen!

But the difference between plastic/epoxy and aluminium heat resistance is exactly the info I wanted.
I'll let you know how it goes when I get round to it - major house work being done at the moment with all new windows and doors to be followed by lots of decorating I guess.

Maybe I should invest in a Dremel thing as suggested to dismantle the Varmac bit by bit to help its removal.

Cheers,
Chris

thorhammer

useful for all manner of things in any case. I prolly use my mine weekly not even to do with fishing.

UKChris1

We boys and our toys  ;)

But Christmas is coming...  ::)

Cuttyhunker

Just picked up a Harbor Freight heat gun for a 20.
Doomed from childhood

UKChris1

Got the heat gun - kicks out 600 degrees on maximum!
Of course (lightbulb moment) - I'm looking at aluminium saucepans and a frying pan on the gas hob and they've not melted!

I'll let you know how it goes...

I also need to get another reel seat off an old glass butt (to fit on to the Aftco butt) but that ought to be ok as the glass is not for keeping. Blast it with heat outdoors, twist and pull (don't forget the gloves).

Turning into quite a project. The rod I'm refurbishing cost £10 - 130lb blank (yellow!), full Aftco HD rollers and Lakeland heavy duty reel seat - bargain. Will sport Aftco bent butt eventually and Aftco SHD Big Foot guides.

Relevance to reels? It will match an old Everol 12/0 Cairns.

thorhammer

yeah, fo rthat reel, worthy of any and all efforts. how about some pics to take us along?

UKChris1

Happy to take some pictures, though I'm no great shakes with the camera. But, I might need a hand to get them to appear here. My previous attempt failed miserably   :(.

Today was spent spacing out the guides and preparing for the underwrap.

Oh, and yeah - I love those Everols

I'll be back...

thorhammer

You can email to me and I will post them. If you can't get me, I expect my man Daron (Sharkhunter) would do it- ESPECIALLY since there is an Everol involved, going on a big gun rebuild.

UKChris1

Thanks Thorhammer! I tried photos once before with a Harnell Unlimited Royal rebuild but failed to get them viewable. I think they are somewhere on the site though...

The rebuild is going a-pace though the varnishing will take a while (I prefer spar varnish to epoxy, partly because I don't have a dryer/turner) and I have yet to tackle the reel seat. But I do have a set of thick, heatproof gloves now. I think I'll need them.