Removing heavy duty reel seat from Aftco butt

Started by UKChris1, October 19, 2021, 01:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris1

It seems as an ordinary member I have lost the 'gallery' so can't upload photos that way, but I'd be happy to share the (poor - I'm no photographer) pictures of the rod build as it is nearly done, bar the reel and handle which is where this thread started.

Thorhammer, you kindly offered help but I don't have your email. Mine is in the profile so I'd be happy for you to contact me that way; I understand you wouldn't want to have your own contact details posted openly.

I will take a picture or two of the 12/0 Everol to keep Sharkhunter happy too. That reel must be of an age by now; I bought it off a guy in Europe and after a good clean and service, it is as good as new apart from a minor ding or two.

Cheers,
Chris

UKChris1

I know this is an older thread but just to let you all know I finished the rod.

The Varmac RS-5H came off the Aftco butt with some patient hack-sawing to cut through the brass, stopping just at the black plastic liner those old Aftco butts had. Heat gun and old screwdriver prised off the remnants to leave a nice clear and undamaged butt.

The good Lakeland seat came off the fibreglass butt after a good blast from the heat gun and a few Newtons applied via a length of alloy rod.

Cleaned up both parts and used epoxy to fit the Lakeland seat onto the Aftco bent butt - worked a treat.

The blank was originally custard yellow! It's a nice colour for custard but not for a rod, so I painted it with black enamel.

The blank now sports Aftco Big Foot guides 52, 2x42, 2x32 and size 28 tip, black foam grip, Lakeland reel seat and Aftco bent butt. OK, I had to buy a couple of the guides as I didn't have a full set, but in essence I now have a perfectly functional 130lb chair rod for little cost and the pleasure of it being all my own work. 

Mind you, my rod-building/wrapping skills are not in the professional class, but I'm pleased with the outcome - not too shabby.

thorhammer

Chris, send me pics of completed rod. I didnt get the others up yet as i got blanked with site quirk, but will ge them all when i can.

John

UKChris1

Hi John,

Thank you, I'll do that, with the 12/0 Everol as well  ;D

Cheers,
Chris

thorhammer

excellent. Alan has a planned upgrade here directly that should accomodate file size.

Cuttyhunker

Chris,
My wife bought a inexpensive little Sony camera that uses an SD memory card.  Most computers now have an SD slot so I just pop it out of the camera and into my laptop to upload the photos. Quick and easy
Doomed from childhood

UKChris1

Thanks Cuttyhunker. I took the photos OK using a Cannon digital and uploaded them but couldn't get them onto this site to show you. Thorhammer offered to help and I sent copies to him so I expect they'll appear in due course.

I'm not up to the standard of many proper rod builders/thread wrappers I see on this and other sites, but I think I do a reasonable job even if a little plain compared to some of the work on show.

Cheers

oldmanjoe

Have you tried to post pictures now with the new format .   :cf
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

UKChris1

Sorry to be slow replying, Oldmanjoe - no I haven't tried posting again but I'll give it a go. Thanks for the advice.

oldmanjoe

:D   OK i see you posted pictures in another thread , But you still have a cliff hanger here . :d
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

UKChris1

Yes, I tried your suggestion now that the boss has upgraded the site but thought it best to start a new thread in case I broke something and had to have my post deleted. Thankfully it seems ok.

The rod is now done but it seems the pictures of the Everol reel generated the most interest. Not surprising, as the rod re-build is not of 'professional' standard but rather more practical/functional than beautiful.

Comparing it to my other chair rods I'd say it is slightly lighter in power than most 130s today but more powerful than an 80lb rod. It does seem to me that older 130s were lighter/less powerful than more modern rods of the same class and here I'm going by the old brown Fenwick compared to the newer white glass Fenwick ones or the relatively recent Penn black glass 130s.

I had hoped to try to rig some way to measure the pull of these heavy rods but am stumped because of the huge stresses involved. I have a way to do stand-up rods OK using a solidly fitted wall-bolt and spring balance, but it's not going to cope with these beasts.

ps It's Friday so I'm having a beer with lunch shortly!