ideas to take a broken screw out from a trinidad handle

Started by steelfish, October 19, 2021, 08:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

so, I have this trinidad 40 that seems that it never got serviced ever and it have some parts pretty corroded, actually shimano handles are prone to corrode badly and kind of disintegrate, Im not fan of the aluminum that shimano use on their reels.

the head of the screw of the lock plate of the nut handle was pretty stuck and it was already damaged, so I poured some WD-40 for few days and I made a cut with my dremel to the head of the screw to be able to use a flat screwdriver, well long story short, I was only able to brake the head of the screw and take the lock plate out from the handle and open the reel to service it, but now I have no idea how to take the rest of the screw out from the handle.
the body of the screw is too thin to use the dremel for a cut and use the flat screwdriver again and its too short to be able to get it with a locking pliers.

The Baja Guy

Wompus Cat

I would Drill it out from the Back .Start in the center  with a tiny bit and gradually increase size till you get to the threads and then just pick out the remaining pieces . and or drill a small hole from the back then heat it up let it cool and use a small ease out from the other side or after heating it you may try the next size bit again from the back and many times after heating it with the hole in it the next size bit will run it out .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Midway Tommy

Since a nubbin of the screw sticks out the back I would first try gently drilling with a smaller bit from the front. Many times the bit will catch in the old screw and continue threading it right on through and out the back side without marring the female threads. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 19, 2021, 11:31:34 PM
Since a nubbin of the screw sticks out the back I would first try gently drilling with a smaller bit from the front. Many times the bit will catch in the old screw and continue threading it right on through and out the back side without marring the female threads. 

I thought the Corroded side was the Front ???
Heating the area surrounding the screw will loosen the crud and help get it out . And without a hell of a holder and drill press you will play the devil drilling the uneven piece is why I  recommended going to the side where the screw is recessed whether is the Front or Back like I thought.
Good luck what ever you decide   ;D

steelfish

Quote from: Wompus Cat on October 20, 2021, 12:02:58 AM

you're right, its the front of the handle which has the part of the screw showing up.

so, the best bet is to drill out from the back?

I havent had any luck with the EZ-out drill bits  :-\
The Baja Guy

Wompus Cat

I would Heat it up then drill drill after it cools down a bit and from the side where the screw  is Recessed reason being is you have a better chance of centering the bit since it is Flat .

boon

Controversial perhaps, but what about just replacing the arm? It looks pretty nasty...

steelfish

Quote from: boon on October 20, 2021, 12:52:19 AM
Controversial perhaps, but what about just replacing the arm? It looks pretty nasty...

LOL
thats an option of course, but 1st I will see if I can use this one for some time.

I just got for my personal use a this Trinidad 40 with a lot of broken small pieces, like stock dogs, brake pads are done, all bearings are toast and some other small bits as bearings washers, clicker pins, etc

so, If I can save this handle that will help, but yes, in the near future a better handle with a more comfy knob is on the list.

The Baja Guy

Wompus Cat

Quote from: steelfish on October 20, 2021, 12:42:06 AM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on October 20, 2021, 12:02:58 AM

you're right, its the front of the handle which has the part of the screw showing up.

so, the best bet is to drill out from the back?

I havent had any luck with the EZ-out drill bits  :-\

Incidentally Ease outs are NOT DRILLS they merely are tapered to be  lightly hammered or pressed into and existing Hole you Drill and they lock in place allowing (Wilth Luck ) you to back out the broken piece ,

Midway Tommy

When I referenced "a nubbin of the screw sticks out the back" I meant the back from the direction the screw/bolt was originally driven. Which ever side of the handle is front or back really has no relevance. The direction of the threads is all that is actually relevant.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelfish

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 20, 2021, 03:24:00 AM
When I referenced "a nubbin of the screw sticks out the back" I meant the back from the direction the screw/bolt was originally driven. Which ever side of the handle is front or back really has no relevance. The direction of the threads is all that is actually relevant.   

Got it

Thanks Tommy
The Baja Guy

oc1

Start with a good sharp punch to dimple the end so the drill bit does not wander.  Giving the punch a good whack will also help loosen the broken screw .

nelz

Or you can leave it alone and drill a new hole on the opposite side if you have a tap.

Gfish

Quote from: oc1 on October 20, 2021, 06:28:38 AM
Start with a good sharp punch to dimple the end so the drill bit does not wander.  Giving the punch a good whack will also help loosen the broken screw .

Since the handle is aluminum, this is a must, to guard the threads. Wonder what the screw is made of?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Steelyfinn

I've used a reverse (left hand) drill bit for a similar problem (broken stainless screw and an aluminum fly reel hub).  The most difficult part is accurately center punching the screw to keep the bit from wandering into the aluminum.  In my project the screw started backing out when I drilled halfway through and I just had to clean up the threads.

Jon

A tiny drop of Kroil on the broken screw may help, too.