5000c questions from an absolute noob

Started by JasonGotaProblem, October 22, 2021, 03:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Bob, that's insane.

BTW, all, Bob was kind enough to take a call from me the other week for talking Abu's. A gentleman and scholar.

tincanary

Quote from: thorhammer on October 23, 2021, 11:30:57 AM
Bob, that's insane.

BTW, all, Bob was kind enough to take a call from me the other week for talking Abu's. A gentleman and scholar.

Thanks brother!  All of what I do to these will work just as well with any other reel that has a synchronized level wind, like the larger Calcuttas and Millionaires for instance. 

Wompus Cat

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 23, 2021, 04:50:19 AM
Well at the age of 35 I can now finally say I have thrown a few casts on a baitcaster. In the street in front of my house like a weirdo. But I'm proud to say I only rat nested the first 3.

At 35 Rat Nesting is a Proper Term but at my age it's called  a Professional Over Run . ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

tincanary

The more friction you can mitigate, the better.  This is the spool from a 6500CI I did last year, factory spool bearings ultrasonically cleaned in acetone, and a drop of TSI.  Now, about that drop.  I apply TSI from a 22awg needle dropper, it's precise and a little of it goes a long way.  The bearings will be noisy at first, but once the TSI works in they quiet right down.  The customer is the original owner of this reel by the way, and never been gone through to my knowledge.

Wompus Cat

I am AMAZED at the TS1 oils .
It REELY is GUTE !
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

JasonGotaProblem

I think I'm gonna run 10# mono til I get a better feel for what I'm doing, and switch to 20# braid as the final condition.

I'm building a rod for it out of a 6'6" 8-17# daiwa triforce rod. It has a good action and the lower cork grip it came with matches the fuji trigger reel seat still on clearance @ mudhole perfectly. The irony of starting to build a baitcaster rod BEFORE fishing on one my first time isn't lost on me.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

tincanary

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 24, 2021, 04:14:21 AM
I think I'm gonna run 10# mono til I get a better feel for what I'm doing, and switch to 20# braid as the final condition.

I'm building a rod for it out of a 6'6" 8-17# daiwa triforce rod. It has a good action and the lower cork grip it came with matches the fuji trigger reel seat still on clearance @ mudhole perfectly. The irony of starting to build a baitcaster rod BEFORE fishing on one my first time isn't lost on me.

20lb will be too thin for such a large spool.  Keep in mind that stuff is a similar diameter to 6lb mono.  50lb would be much better, as it's a similar diameter to 12lb.  The issue with 20lb will be if you get a backlash that works its way deep into the spool.  You're going to be yelling out some choice words as you sit there cutting line lol.  40lb braid and up will be plenty good.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: tincanary on October 24, 2021, 12:42:11 PM
20lb will be too thin for such a large spool.  Keep in mind that stuff is a similar diameter to 6lb mono.  50lb would be much better, as it's a similar diameter to 12lb.  The issue with 20lb will be if you get a backlash that works its way deep into the spool.  You're going to be yelling out some choice words as you sit there cutting line lol.  40lb braid and up will be plenty good.
If that's true this might not be the ideal reel for how I had intended to use it. I was initially thinking 10# braid. 40# braid for bass and inshore? I'm running that on my heavier surf rigs.

This is of course not a problem with a reel but my intended application. How does spool diameter play a role in what line to use? Not saying you're wrong I'm just trying to understand how all this works.

mo65

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 24, 2021, 01:39:38 PM
If that's true this might not be the ideal reel for how I had intended to use it. I was initially thinking 10# braid. 40# braid for bass and inshore? I'm running that on my heavier surf rigs.

Tincanary is right...20lb. braid will be a headache on that reel...just too thin. Select your braid by diameter rather than breaking strength. And don't worry about it being 50-60lb strength rating. It can't hurt your 5000c. Stock drag maxes before it gets to 10 pounds...she'll slip long before stressing the gears. The only problem is breaking off a snag...carry a piece of PVC pipe to do that. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

tincanary

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 24, 2021, 01:39:38 PM

This is of course not a problem with a reel but my intended application. How does spool diameter play a role in what line to use? Not saying you're wrong I'm just trying to understand how all this works.

Your best bet is to try and find a spool arbor, like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/154569834989?nma=true&si=v5%252FAswpy66ZLOuzaPxBELwMf6X0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557.  It's a plastic arbor that fits around the arbor of the spool, taking up space in order to run thinner lines.  The only other option is the Avail Micro Cast spool, which is much more expensive at $125-ish.  If this were a newer ultracast variant, you'd have a much cheaper option in the AMO spool shown here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001734357317.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.4.28aa613broV4OQ

swede 53

Fishing freshwater here in the midwest I have 40 and 50 lb. braid with mono backing on my Ambassadeurs and while that may seem like overkill it matches up well with a mono or fluoro leader of 10-15 lb. test, usually 10-12 ft. or a steel leader for pike. That size braid will also be a plus in heavy cover and be easier to manage. Set up that way I have cast 1 oz. spoons and switched to a wacky rig with a 5 in. senko with only some spool tension adjustment. I use 6.5-7 ft mh rods but that's what fits me. They are very adaptable and forgiving, be prepared, it's hard to stop with one of them.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: tincanary on October 24, 2021, 03:26:14 PM

Your best bet is to try and find a spool arbor, like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/154569834989?nma=true&si=v5%252FAswpy66ZLOuzaPxBELwMf6X0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557.  It's a plastic arbor that fits around the arbor of the spool, taking up space in order to run thinner lines. 
you mean one of these? Keith is just full of surprises, this was already installed. So does this mean I can run lighter line?

oc1

Those plastic arbors reduced the spool weight which could improve casting.

JasonGotaProblem

Thinking to myself last night man I'm starting to get the hang of this. 5 min later:

tincanary

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 26, 2021, 10:57:44 AM
Thinking to myself last night man I'm starting to get the hang of this. 5 min later:

It's part of the learning process.  It still happens to me from time to time, and I've been fishing them 30 years lol